Saturday, October 5, 2013

Leave it to a woman

Forget Uncle Sam; leave it to Old Mom. My daughter and her room mates were accidentally locked out of their rooms for a while today, making life even more miserable for them. The group was hungry, running out of rationed individual snacks that they had brought on their bus trip. Hungry women, hoping to arrive at hotel with meals included, hadn't eaten since Friday morning at 5 a.m.
The monster South Dakota blizzard dumped 33 inches and blew ten feet snow drifts, brought down power lines and closed interstates. Their bus driver headed for the nearest Air Force base yesterday afternoon, and got stuck. Big Dog equipment got them out, twice. They ended up in temporary housing, took a hot shower and waited for the expected hot meal at 5 p.m.  It never arrived. Lost power after dark, tried to sleep, woke hungry, hoped for breakfast. No food arrived. A military airman came by and shared what he had: two bottles of Gatorade.

I went on line and read the chatter: the dining facility on base had run out of hot food and was hoping to get some MREs for the essential personnel who hadn't been furloughed! The women had decided to WALK to the mess hall in a blizzard, but the airman advised otherwise. Power lines down.

I went on Facebook and sent requests to the Colonel, who was probably too busy with troops to be concerned with civillians. So, I appealed to WIVES of airmen. One responded. Coincidentally (or not) she had the same last name as my best friend, Sheila's maiden name. She offered to feed them, but neither she nor the women could travel to one another because of road conditions.

Some angel heard my plea and my daughter said an hour ago an airmen delivered a few MREs for the women to share. Not the roast beef they were craving. A couple of crackers and slice of meat to share will have to do them for the evening. They were expecting to be home Monday. Now they are saying they may not even leave until Tuesday.

I have always been a fixer, and won't take "no" for an answer when I set my mind to something.

I'm half as exhausted as my daughter, I'm sure, but I am ready for bed at 8:00 p.m. I hope she can sleep.
 

14 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

A girl never gets too old for her mama...

Great story in what will undoubtedly be a series of stories for the next few days. I'm glad she at least got a bit of food.

Val said...

I always hate it when people say things like this, but I look at the bright side. You know where she is, and you can communicate with her. She may be uncomfortable and hungry, but she's not lost and not trapped in a bus in a snowdrift.

That said, I would be absolutely miserable and very complainy if I was in her position. I hope the weather breaks and her group can move on. You are quite pro-active and ingenious in seeking a solution. I never would have thought of the wives angle.

Everybody deserves a mom like you. I kind of have one. But if it comes down to her saving me by Facebook, I'm just gonna have to suffer.

Connie said...

It must be so hard to know what is going on there and not be able to do anything to change the circumstances for her. I'm glad to hear they got a bite to eat albeit a small one. I hope things improve for her and the others there soon,

Anonymous said...

Yikes, I am just getting caught up. You must be exhausted. I'm sure she will be fine and I'm sorry for her situation. I hope she is home safe and sound soon.

River said...

Note to self; when traveling to unknown conditions take extra backpack filled with rations and snacks. Strap bottles of water to belt.

You're such a good mum to call around and make sure the girls got at least some food. I'm sure they'll all be glad to get home again.

Shelly said...

Good for you! This is going to be a trip for the ages. Maybe she could do a guest post on it sometime in the future. And we here in this tropical clime think we are freezing because it dipped into the 60's last night. Ha!

Tammy said...

I smiled at those angel-mamas flying to the rescue. How is it your family attracts so many snowy adventures? Still sending best, Linda.

Susan said...

Gosh Linda, what an ordeal. I feel so badly for the women to be uncomfortable and hungry. But at least they are not in a snowbank somewhere, out in the blizzard.

They'll sure appreciate the first good, hot meal they have! God bless them, every one. Hugs. Susan

Mevely317 said...

Oh gosh, I'm just reading this ... and looking forward to hearing when your Tracey is home safe and sound!
Winter's always been my favorite season, but this is ridiculous!!!

Thank God for your ingenuity!

Southhamsdarling said...

As you know, I have been following this story on facebook, and You did so well! I think we would have all tried to do something. There's nothing worse than just sitting there, worrying! I do pray that they will get safely home very soon. You must be exhausted, and will be glad to get that phone call saying that your daughter is home and safe.

Donna Volkenannt said...

What a frightening experience, but how ingenious of you to get help.

Karen Lange said...

What an adventure! I'm sure they'll laugh about it someday. Good thing they have you to go to bat for them. :)

Pat Wahler said...

Mom to the rescue! Seems like things are definitely looking up.

Pat
Critter Alley

Lynn said...

I'm sure there's a CS story in there somewhere for the future. Good momma.