Monday, November 11, 2013

Say it. Sing it. Tell it like it is, girl!


So many kids have been told they can be anything they want to be. We encourage and empower children from the day they are born with our words, facial expressions, a tender touch.

A few years ago I sent a self-confident class of preschoolers to a new kindergarten teacher who had been a former middle grade classroom teacher years before. For the past ten years, she had been a resource teacher where she dealt with 1-3 children at a time. When I saw her in the hall, I asked how my former students were doing. She said with disgust, "They're all so bold and smart and confident, the entire class."

I believe that people in power should not overpower. Compliance and obedience are not synonymous. Gaining cooperation is different from demanding control. Kids are people too, and they have rights!

Before I go off on a tangent, let me tell you one more story about Nicole who is reading and writing.


She spent the night. I quizzed her on personal information: name, address, phone, city, state, parents/sibling names etc. With 100% accuracy, she answered all of my questions. Then she added, "And my nickname is Molly Rose. When I grow up I'm going to be a rock star, and that will be my name, Molly Rose."
 
And then, for the next hour she sang... Every. Single. Question. Comment, Request and Thought that popped into her head. Sometimes she sang like an opera star, sometimes she ch-ch-ched the ends of her songs.

Finally, I replied back in song, which startled and stopped her. "Hey, how did YOU learn that?" She asked and beamed proudly, probably thinking I was a former rock star.


With her every different voice inflection and delivery I had to smile, knowing that no matter which stage she takes to in her life, she WILL be a super star. "Molly Rose" is going to rock this world.


As I tucked her in at bedtime, I asked if she said her prayers. I began to recite, "Now I lay me down to sleep..."
She looked at me and said, "Nana, when I get under my covers, I just talk  to God, every night."

Amen!

16 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Molly Rose. The perfect name for a rock star--and of course, she's already a star in your family.

What a great story about Nicole. And I know that with her family encouraging her, she will be able to attain any goal she sets her mind on...

Shelly said...

Now Nicole is going to be a world changer, I have no doubt! What a great story- she sounds like a doll. I love that you answered her in song- that sounds like what I would do, too.

Pat Wahler said...

Miss Molly Rose definitely has the right idea.

Pat
Critter Alley

Unknown said...

Amen!

Bookie said...

How wonderful that Nicole can be a Molly Rose right now...so many other children are already having troubled lives They lack the support and insight that Nicole obviously gets from her family. I wish all children could have the same...a first step to a better world.

Susan Sundwall said...

Oh,my. She sounds like our Anna only Anna adds cartwheels. LOL I'll be looking for the rise of Molly Rose in 15 years or so. Bless her!

Susan said...

Molly Rose is already a star, Linda. She may not be a rock star but she sure shines!

That was such a cute post.

No more "Now I lay me down to sleep" prayers for her. Talking with God means she has a direct line! Susan

Joanne Noragon said...

Compliance and obedience are not synonymous. Sigh. Sometimes I wish I were just a seventy year old grandma, not a seventy your old grandma in charge. I will figure out how to my little Molly Rose to cheerfully brush her teeth twice a day.

Connie said...

I see a bright future for that little one! :)

River said...

Now there is a girl who will go far and do great things!

So different from when I was a kid in school, we all had to sit quietly, listening, learning, no room for individuality. And at home it was similar, do as you are told, don't question what we say.....because my older sister was/is retarded and it had to be drummed into her.

Mary Horner said...

Love her spirit!

Tammy said...

Amen is right. All of it!

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

"Gaining cooperation is different from demanding control." This should be plastered on every classroom across America.

Molly Rose is destined for great things. And she's very fortunate to have a grandmother who will support her ever step of the way. :)

jabblog said...

Molly Rose is an eye-catching name but I think she'll go far whatever her name.

Beth M. Wood said...

Here - Here! Love that you are giving those little ones the confidence to be themselves!

Anonymous said...

Confidence is good and Molly Rose sounds like a Super Star!