Sunday, June 15, 2014

Three wise men

Happy Father's day to my husband, their dad, stepdad, grandpa and soon-to-be great grandpa, the man in this family who ranks #1. He is our rock, our funny man, our shoulder, our wise guy, and the elder who offers wisdom not in the form of a lecture but in the form of questions to make us all do our own reasoning. He is amazing and loved by all of us. His wisdom has guided several generations.

Since his release from hospital for pneumonia, it's TLC for my honey, Total Life Change. He's going to drive me crazy for a while counting carbs and grams, but we are heading in the right direction. I am so happy to tell you Bill is on the mend, eating healthy, resting and getting a little exercise...and making me a little crazy. All is well in my world again. I say that with a big happy smile.

Today I remember my late dad, who, with his own story telling, laid the foundation for mine. He was a fun, playful, carefree dad who made my childhood happy. When I was about four, I walked into Tucci's Market with Daddy. I heard a little girl call her daddy, Dad. I asked my daddy what that meant and when he explained, I smiled. On the spot, he became Dad. He used to scout for scrap metal in the alleys, and sometimes he allowed me to be his side kick. "Come on little boss, you can ride with me today." When I put my bare feet up on the dash of his old 1949 pick up truck, he'd laugh and say, "Pewee, you're stinking up the whole neighborhood." I can still hear his laughter.

Today I pay tribute to my step-dad who provided for me from age 14-18 and for my late mom for over forty years. No matter where I am, I am always caught off guard when I see an older man wearing suspenders. His needs were simple; his greatest past times were the Bible, playing Solitaire and showing strangers his life-long pilot's license. He had five children and talked about them frequently, but it was his oldest son who held a special place in his heart.

I am grateful, today and everyday for these men in my life.


 

12 comments:

Tammy said...

Very sweet tribute. Happy Father's Day to Bill, and so glad he's better!

Sioux Roslawski said...

Tammy's right. It is a lovely tribute to your two dads and to Bill.

I guess since he's feeling better, a "visit" from 666 is in order. ;)

(I loved your stories about your dad and stepdad. I imagine they will--at some point--be the focus of CS story. Your 172nd, right?)

Mevely317 said...

What a poignant piece, Linda!
I especially enjoyed hearing how 'daddy' became a 'dad'. Shoot, I enjoyed the whole thing! :)


Bookie said...

You are lucky to have found a trio of good men in your life when many woman can't find even one. Lucky gal!
Glad things are better at home...it seems to me that this time of life is a total living change in every new day!

Val said...

My mom and her three brothers called their dad "Daddy" well into adulthood. Mom just turned 80, and that's how she refers to him now when she reminisces.

Susan said...

Hi Linda....We are so lucky to have had (and have) good men in our lives.

Blessings to you and your honey and the soon to be papa of your great-grand! Susan

Donna Volkenannt said...

Lovely tribute, Linda. Truly from the heart!

Connie said...

Very nice post, Linda. I'm glad to hear your husband is doing better.

Janet, said...

So glad he's feeling better. Enjoyed your post.

Musings, Tea, and Me said...

Linda, How fortunate you are to have enjoyed your three good men! Glad your hubby is doing well, too. Vickie

Susan Sundwall said...

So glad, with everyone else, that Bill is on the mend which goes a long way to keep you on an even keel too! I've had wonderful men in my life as well and try to remember that when they're driving me a little crazy. =0)

Chicken said...

So nice:-)