Thursday, March 26, 2015

Sing it sister!

 My 7th grade math/music teacher, Connie Wilson, brought me as much joy as pain. I despised her as much as the math she taught. I just could not "GET" numbers the way I did letters. I won every spelling contest, seek and find, word game, etc.

When she pulled out her pitch pipe and plopped down on the piano bench, I loved being in her music class. We sang old folk songs: Way Down Upon the Suwanee River. What a flashback the first time Bill and I went to Florida and actually crossed that river!

We sang On the Lone Prairie, Old Black Joe, Onward Christian Soldiers, and many other songs which were deemed inappropriate a few years later. Toward the end of class, Mrs. Wilson allowed students to choose songs from our song books. Never failed, we always ended with the anthems to the four branches of military: Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force. Even the kids who only mouthed the words to the other songs, sang with exuberance, and that school room rocked with all of our voices.

"Over hill, over dale, we will hit the dusty trail as those caissons go rolling along ..."

"Anchors away my boy, anchors away..."

"From the halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli..."

"Upward-upward into the wild blue yonder..."

With all the upheaval and war in the world today, these songs take on a new and uncomfortable meaning. Feeling melancholy and wishing for those simpler times.
Spring break is coming soon and the temperature will be rising. I noticed a little blossom on the new red bud tree. Yay!

10 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

I am sure you will have a restful, relaxing Spring Break. You deserve it.

Susan Sundwall said...

I'm so in your corner wanting the simpler old times. Must be why I love vintage art. Thanks, Linda.

Debra Mayhew said...

I remember singing lots of those songs, too, or else playing them for my piano lessons. We had a talent show in school where we sang all of the military ones. Thanks for bringing back some fun memories, Linda!

Val said...

I had a music teacher, Miss Wilson. Our 7th grade class brought her no joy and much pain.

Somebody (not me, of course) was always putting a tack on her piano bench. She must have had buns of steel, because she never let on that it hurt, even when she stood up and we could see that thumbtack sticking in the back of her orange polyester dress. The pain we gave her was emotional. We did not appreciate singing Rodgers and Hammerstein show tunes.

Bookie said...

I hear you loud and clear, LInda!!! Simpler times...every day it seems I have to face some change or weird new angle on my world! Oh, I loved those songs! I remember them...they meant something and carried history. Do you think our children will have fond memories of rap with vulgar lyrics?

Susan said...

Oh, it was wonderful singing, wasn't it, Linda? I still find great solace in singing. And I STILL play Old Black Joe on my banjo! Ha! Yeah, "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end...." We can keep our memories alive by still singing! Susan

Pat Wahler said...

I guess every era has both positives and negatives. Sometimes we just have to search a little harder for them.

Pat
Critter Alley

Connie said...

I miss the simpler times too. Isn't it funny how music can bring back so many memories.

Connie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tammy said...

I sure could relate to those feelings about math. That's cool that you got to see another side to your teacher, though!