Thursday, March 17, 2016

Be still my heart...

The growing season is here a bit early this year. We've had an unusually warm March, broke a record with 82 degrees. I am not complaining. These images are what gets me out of the winter doldrums and makes me glad to be alive, renewed, and ready to tackle exercise. I walked a brisk mile in the neighborhood yesterday and snapped photos of signs of spring. My mom used to love the Bradford pear blossoms. She said they reminded her of little dainty buttons. When I see those white frills, I remember Mom, and the warm fragrant air blends with my memory of her vanilla scented perfume.
 
 
This tulip tree (magnolia?) made me sigh with satisfaction. I am witness to it slowly but surely, bud by bud, awakening. I always told my students that trees do not die when they lose their leaves. They go to sleep in winter. When I see these images, it is an awakening for me as well.
Forsythia bushes and daffodils are blooming along highway fence lines and yards all across town. Happy, hopeful, giddy, energized...that's what new life does for me.

Imagine my joy because of this little growing guy. Liam is 21 months old today. He jabbers all the time, sings and says, "There you go." and "Here you are." My daughter is his caregiver; she has an in home day care, and he calls her My Nana, to distinguish his position among the other kids I suppose. He sings, "Old MahDonald fahm,  E-I-E-I-O." He uses hand motions to indicate what I should do when I sing The Wheels on the Bus. He loves balloons and flags, and points out every flag he sees when we're in the car. He repeatedly says, "Hi Fwag, bye-bye fwag." REPEATEDLY. He hugged Pawpaw Bill goodbye on his own, which made Bill's day. He's standoffish with men, and hides his eyes, but we have had a breakthrough. Maybe it was because Paw-Paw pushed him on the swings earlier.
 
He came into our house in the morning and went right to the bathroom, pulled the shower curtain back and got out his bathtub toys. He is very loving, sweet and independent. 
 
I think he may be smiling so brightly because he got his first real kiss the other day. One of the little girls in day care is a month older than him. My daughter said to her, "Go kiss your baby sister; she's fussing. Aww, poor baby."
The little girl ran over, grabbed Liam by his cheeks, and planted a big one on his mouth. He looked stunned, then threw up his hands, laughed and said, "There you go, My Nana!"
She had to stop him from reciprocating.
 


11 comments:

Cathy C. Hall said...

Spring is busting out all over, Linda! And that little one's smile is going to break a lot of hearts when HE starts chasing the girls!

Happy St. Pat's Day to you and yours!

tracboy2 said...

Beautiful pictures of Spring on the horizon. Liam is a very loved little boy.❤ We are very Blessed to share in his precious life.

Connie said...

I love the first awakening of spring too. Your pictures are lovely. Little Liam is adorable. I'm not surprised that he has already had his first kiss. :)

Alice said...

Your story paints a much prettier picture than mine. Spring is busting out all over and so are the seams of my clothes. Might be from hibernating all winter or perhaps binging on the grandkids' Easter candy that needs replacing. Tried on my swimsuit for incentive. My screams could be heard for miles. Yep, spring is busting out all over!

Bookie said...

Great pictures, all! Glad you got that walk in...I know it makes a difference and the weather is to take another turn here this weekend...not the right direction in my book!

Anonymous said...

Those blue eyes of his... They will get him out of lots of trouble.

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

You have the same blooms we do. :)

Liam (the name of the hero in my WIP, by the way) has the most gorgeous eyes! And that smile! Yes, be still my heart. *sigh*

Val said...

How did Liam grow up so fast? His flags must have been waving A LOT with the wind we've been getting over the last couple of days. In my neck of the woods, anyway.

BECKY said...

The Bradford pear trees are just gorgeous, aren't they? I love it that this area is FULL of them. I need to take some photos, too...and pretty quick. Linda, please stop by my blog. There's something for you to read ;)

Donna Volkenannt said...

What a wonderful way to enjoy a walk. And Liam is adorable!

Pat Wahler said...

Beautiful trees and a beautiful child. Who could ask for more?

Pat
Critter Alley