Monday, June 19, 2017

Are you a poet and don't know it?

So you say you're not a poet? I'm not talking rhyming poetry.  Poems that have strong verbs and metaphor are not as difficult to write as you think. Give it a try. Are you cringing yet? shaking your head?

Self doubt gets in the way, and soon you start believing all the negative messages you tell yourself: I can't. I don't know how. I'm no good at this. Nobody would want to read my stuff.

Remember this, your mind believes what you tell it. I am not a trained poet, yet, my poems have been published numerous places, and I have won awards for them.

My classroom motto has always been,  Never say, I can't. Say, I can TRY!

I did just that. One of my poems was accepted today by the editor at Her Story Blog. I don't have details yet about publication date, but will post when I know. My poems are not all sugar and spice and artificially nice. They are real, honest, and evoke emotion. Male editors have told me my work made them cry. I write from the heart, and you can, too.

I also cut a 1,000 word story down to 100 words, and it was accepted in Ireland and will be on line this weekend. Details later.

Believe in yourself! Take a chance! If I can, YOU can... try. Amaze yourself.

HERE is a list of places interested in publishing your work. Author's Publish is a great resource.

What is the worst that can happen if you submit? Someone may say, "No thanks." Rejection is part of the writer's life and is often more about editorial needs than your writing.



Wishing you the best.

5 comments:

Susan Sundwall said...

Wow, Linda. Great words to get us motivated. I'm not a trained poet either, but I've sold many poems. Words that form a picture in the mind. Go for it!

Bookie said...

Terrific and inspiring post! Congrats on yet another pub too!

Val said...

Congrats, and thanks for the link!

Connie said...

Thank you for the motivating words, and congratulations on your upcoming published works! That's great!

Pat Wahler said...

I've never dabbled much in poetry. One of these days maybe I'll give it a try.

Pat
www.patwahler.com