Friday, January 12, 2018

One ringy-dingy

Some people refuse to leave a message on an answering machine. I don't have an issue talking to an answering machine recorded message. But I do have an issue with the darned thing talking to me.

I only pick up the home phone if it rings when the baby is napping. I know better, but I do it just to stop the ringing. I usually hang it up right away if I do not recognize the area code.

If my honey is home, he scoops the hand held receiver off its base, presses the ON button and barks, "Yello!"

He repeats himself a time or two, louder and louder, then the caller asks him a question.

He doesn't answer. The caller pauses, then asks if he's heard about such and such product or offer.

Hubby sometimes replies, but mostly waits the caller out, and then the caller states their own name. 

"This is Bob Smith calling from the... Did you know you are eligible for...?"

My big guy tries to get his attention. "Well listen, Mr. Smith..." as Mr. Smith prattles on. 

My big guy gets frustrated and shouts, "Mr. Smith I am not interested in... "

By then, I am more than frustrated, and from the computer room I shout, "You are talking to a recording designed to react to your responses. Hang up!" 


He says he's using their minutes, tying up their lines, and he's going to show them.  


5 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

HeWho listens to all the conspiracy theories and such says that you are never supposed to say "yes" on these calls. He told me why, but I wasn't listening, I just said "Yes, dear". I usually just hang up anyway.

Sioux Roslawski said...

Yeah, Sasquatch is quite formidable...

Val said...

I wish him good luck with that. At least he is talking to a recording. Hick has managed to make volunteers think he is donating to several colleges, because he says, "Not right now." I need to teach him the NO word.

Connie said...

We no longer have a landline. I don't answer my cell phone unless I know who is calling. If I don't know who it is, I let it ring. If it is important enough, they will leave a message, and I will call them back if necessary.

Pat Wahler said...

Ugh, how I hate unsolicited sales calls!

www.patwahler.com