Monday, September 16, 2019

Have you ever been misled?


As a writer, have you ever been sorely mistaken? One thing I have learned is always be sure to read contributor's guidelines carefully, especially the fine print.

Once I submitted to a contest in which the prize was a free book. I followed the guidelines for word count and content, and I was hopeful I would win. I didn't. 

I had failed to read the small print that stated eligible contestants would be selected from a specific geographic area of the country, which I did not live in. I should have never even entered the contest.    

Last week the little dudes and I stopped for tomatoes at Stuckmeyer's Farm.

Charlie kicked and flailed with excitement, anticipating being placed in the pumpkin patch display. EWW! Once there, he wanted no part of the straw, and Alex wasn't that fond of it either.


 Before long Charlie was back in his preferred environment playing in his comfort zone.

It's that way with me, too. I'm soon over it and moving on to the next thing. How about you?

8 comments:

DUTA said...

I don't enter contests of any kind , so I'm spared the feelings of excitement/frustration that come with it.
I very much like your attitude "I'm soon over it and moving on to the next thing."

Susan said...

Well, Linda, I'm sure some contests do, indeed, have winners but I never enter as I am not one to test the waters. Do you think those big winner sweepstakes are legit? Sometimes, I think they are just a crock. Anyway, keep on writing! Susan

Val said...

I don't move on easily. I'm a dweller. The boys on the straw are making me itchy!

Merlesworld said...

I very rarely enter contests always sure I will win and disappointed when I don't.
Merle...........

Pat Wahler said...

I agree, Linda. If we dwell on past disappointments, it dims the joy of today.

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

I stick with things longer than I should. It's a characteristic I'm working on---learning to know when to move on. It isn't always easy, though, because I'm pretty stubborn. lol

Connie said...

Getting over it and moving on is the best way to deal with disappointments like that, I think. Things just aren't always what we expect them to be.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.