Sunday, January 24, 2021

Zooming takes on a new meaning

We have been indoors so long. Bored. Lack of stimuli. Same old TV shows. We had the urge to get out and take a drive. The sunshine was deceiving, the weather freezing, but a perfect day to lollygag and take a lesiurely drive.

Didn't happen. There was no slowing down to see sites, as traffic was speeding at excessive rates, drivers changing lanes and breaking all rules of the road. It was like being on the Autobahn.

As we were zipping down the highway I told Bill to look up! He couldn't. I saw what appeared to be a large drone in the sky over downtown. We lost sight of it. Few minutes later this aircraft crossed our path again, flying at high altitude. Its gray wings blended into the sky and all I could see was the black body. 

It wasn't a drone afterall but a fighter jet. The pilot flew the aircraft sideways with one wing up and one down. It was an amazing aerial maneuver. 

That was my excitement for the day. 

Someone told us to check out an app called Flight Tracker to see what is flying in the skies above you. I went on line and browsed. I saw so many images of planes in the air, it looked like mass chaos. Some things are better left unknown.

 

7 comments:

DUTA said...

Indoors - boring, outdoors -freezing. You did the right thing to take a drive. At least,it gave you a bit of excitement looking up and seeing the aerial manoever of a pilot.

Kathy G said...

For the past several years I've made a commitment to drive at the posted speed limit. On major streets (and ESPECIALLY interstates) it feels like I'm the only one doing it.

Val said...

We used to have those jets flying over our house about 8-10 years ago. I'd run out to the porch to see them when I heard the roar. One time we saw two of them play-fighting. I mean TRAINING! And once one was so low that i could see the pilot inside. I guess we're in the flight training path for Scott Air Force Base. I haven't noticed them nearly as much in recent years, even though I'm home most of the day now.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

A drive on the interstate is never leisurely! I am always in the slow lane and yo would think I was holding everyone one up the way they zip around me .... and I am driving 4 miles over the speed limit! I am planning a trip to Tennessee to look at some property near the Cumberland Bluffs. I would retire north to be closer to my kids, but he wants south for the warmer weather. The 6 acre "lot" has 150 of river front and mountain views. The house is not impressive, but I enjoy a good challenge!

Sioux Roslawski said...

Linda--I don't think I'm going to install that app. Ignornance is bliss... ;)

Susan said...

Taking a ride these days really is special, isn't it, Linda? I get so stir-crazy inside the house that even going to the supermarket is something to look forward to.I hope COVID hits the dust soon. Susan

Pat Wahler said...

I didn't know they had one for planes! I've seen an app for identifying stars and constellations, and it was really neat.