Tuesday, July 5, 2022

On the go again...STILL

I have tried to live up to my reputation of being the most fun great-grandma on earth, or at least in town. I am babysitting (as seated) eight-year-old Liam, three-year-old Charlie, and four-year-old Alex, three days per week this summer. I like summer, the great outdoors, and I don't mind the heat. We start out early and end up back home at noon for lunch and naps. 
I took them to Bee Tree Park in far South St. Louis County. They played at the playground for an hour, and then I told them we were taking a hike so I could show them something special. Charlie was all for it. Alex whined, and Liam refused to get out of the car until I told him our hike was fifty yards ahead in the tree line.

One by one they stood in awe on the bluffs, with mouths agape at the sight of the mighty Mississippi River. I explained it was a barge and boat route from Minnesota to New Orleans and empties into the Gulf of Mexico, which we call the ocean.
 
They climbed up on the fence at the overlook and observed that they were above tree tops.

Liam said, "I see a farm across the river."

Alex said, "I see a boat coming."

Charlie said, "WOW! I SEE CALIFORNIA!

Friday, I discovered a free indoor pool for me and the boys, and we spent three hours splishing and splashing.

I am blessed to be young at heart, still have energy, stamina, and the desire to "teach" my little  guys.

Liam said he thought this would be the worst summer of his life spending his school break with the littles and me, but each day he says, "This has been my most best day ever!"

OH NO! HE SLIPPED ON AN ICE CUBE AND FELL ON THE 4TH OF JULY. CUT HIS PALM ON A BROKEN GLASS. HE HAS FOUR STITCHES AND CAN'T GET HIS HAND WET FOR 10 DAYS. HE'S GOING TO HAVE TO WAIT FOR MORE BEST DAYS EVER.

Regardless of the weather, make this your most best day ever, too. Read a book, write something, spend time in nature, engage in an activity that makes you feel great. 

Tell me about it, won't you?

8 comments:

Pat Wahler said...

Poor Liam! I hope his owie heals quickly. I'm afraid keeping that little hand dry for 10 days is going to be a challenge.

Eileen in Fla. said...

You are a gifted teacher. I continue to be blown away by your creativity and stamina. I wish every child in the world had a great gran or gran like you. Personally, I feel if little boys were given acceptance, adventures in how the world works, and nature, we'd have far fewer maladjusted, angry teenagers. Okay, off my soapbox. Thank you for taking us along on your Summer adventures.

Val said...

Well, at least Liam had the excitement of stitches, and will have that story to tell. Too bad he has 10 days of dry hand in the middle of this heat. I'm sure you can think of adventures to keep his mind off that hand. After all, you managed to let Charlie see California!

Sioux Roslawski said...

A trip to California in less than a day... What a wonderful great grandmother you are. ;)

And congrats on your latest CS story. (I'm sorry I missed your post a couple of days ago. When I first looked at the photo of Charlie on your July 3 post, I missed the mechanical part "attached" to the Jeep he was riding in... At first glance, it looked like he was flying in the air in a real, small Jeep. I gasped.

DUTA said...

You seem to be blessed with the right energy to be able to deal with the three very active boys.
I particularly like the picture where the three have their backs at the camera
forming a trio with the big boy in the middle and the two little brothers each at one side.

Kim Lehnhoff said...

I need to step up my great grandma game. I hope I get to spend lots of time with them!

I wanna be like you when I grow up!

Red Rose Alley said...

I'm so sorry Liam slipped and had to get stitches. I hope he heals quickly. I'm so glad Charlie saw California when climbing the fence and looking above the tree tops. I love the imagination of children. Sounds like they are having a great Summer. The picture of them with their backs turned is wonderful. Maybe you can frame that one.

~Sheri

Kathy's Klothesline said...

You possess a great sense of adventure! If he accidentally gets it wet, let it dry and then apply a dry bandage.