Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Bedrooom bedlam

 Bill and I are retirees on different sleep schedules. He takes a two hour afternooon snooze in his mechanical recliner about 2:00 p.m. He blames it on the fuzzy blanket I bought him. 

I fall asleep on the couch late evening for couple of hours and wake up to watch the late shows. I head to bed about midnight and we both sleep until the cat goes crazy knocking things off the dresser to let us know he wants to be fed... between 4:30 and 5:00 a.m.

Last night was a doozy in the bedroom. Bill woke up at 1:00 as I was watching an old sitcom and asked why the TV was so loud. I could barely hear it. I said it wasn't. He asked why I was screaming. I was merely talking loud enough so he could hear me.

He then started yelling, "Where is it?"

"What?"

I fell asleep in my hearing aids. No wonder everything seems so loud. I found one and now I've lost one."

He grumbled into the bathroom, rummaged through the bedding, wandered into the livingroom to check his snooze chair. Came back and said, "It was in the neck of my T shirt."

I flipped off the TV, and if I could have muted him as he rehashed the incident...

6 comments:

DUTA said...

Sleep and hearing loss issues often affect people's life in retirement and have to be dealt with patiently.

Pat Wahler said...

Those darn hearing aids! I remember my father-in-law had hearing aids that would periodically give out a loud sort of ringing noise. We all heard the sound, but it never bothered him a bit.

jabblog said...

Ah, the joys of long-term marriage . . . You made me laugh - thank you.

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, sorry you both had a bad night. That must be so hard when one loses their hearing. You go to bed late. I usually get to bed early, as I'm an early riser. But those old sitcoms would be so much better watching late without any distractions. I miss those old classic shows. I hope you have better sleep nights ahead. : )

~Sheri

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I am afraid I am becoming accustomed to a loud TV. Some nights I feel like my ear drums are vibrating so hard they will burst!!

Val said...

We kind of go through the same thing, but without hearing aids. I am forever defending myself over things Hick THINKS I said. In an effort to be heard, I'm afraid I might throw out my vocal cords.