Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Where have I been? Or have you forgotten me already?

It has been one minor disaster after another here. Bill developed bronchitis which nearly went into pneumonia a couple weeks ago, so I took care of him. Then he had cataract surgery on his left eye. I am designated driver. Doctor visits required driving across town, and then next day follow up visit to the other end of town, all in rush hour traffic.

 Today he had a dense cataract removed from his right eye, and will have a follow up visit early in the morning. A physical the next day. Did I say in rush hour traffic?

He has also been going to physical therapy for a seriously painful knee, but it hasn't alleviated the pain. So he saw an orthopedist, who gave him a cortisone shot and removed 10 times the fluid that was supposed to be on his knee. He is still in pain and is going to request an MRI, but does not want knee replacement. YIKES!

We used to be avid dancers, and we both miss dancing. We wish you a happy holiday. We are grateful for family and friends, and especially each other. We can at least strike a dance pose.

Last week was my turn for boo-boos.
I was scooping frozen cookie dough when the plastic measuring spoon snapped and sliced my thumb to the bone. Using my thumb is something I take for granted, so the wound was forever reopening, but it's finally healing.

Then we were visiting a friend when I stepped on his dog's toy. When I screamed,  the mutt nipped me in the butt. I have a bruised cheek. Yeah that one!

And my left facial cheek looks like I have been tortured. I pulled a cookie tray from the oven at eye level, and turned suddenly to see what the cat was yowling about and burned my own cheek!  

Last night after a wonderful family Christmas, with much laughter and joy, from our babies young and old, I fell asleep on the couch, exhausted. I vaguely remember my honey calling my name, but I was too far gone and did not hear about his latest episode until we were sitting in the eye surgeon's office this morning. When he told me, I laughed so hard I cried.

Bill said he couldn't see out of his bad eye, and his good eye had no lens in his glasses last night. So he was having trouble seeing how badly he'd injured the toe next to his big toe when he conked it on the dresser. He placed his foot on the toilet seat and poured alcohol and peroxide over his toes, which colored the water bright red with blood. He couldn't rouse me from sleep, so with limited visibility, he proceeded to doctor his foot. He put triple antibiotic and a Bandaid on his toe. He hobbled into the living room and collapsed in his recliner. He propped up his feet, and THAT is when his vision cleared under direct lamp light. His toe was oozing blood through the ointment. He had bandaged the wrong toe!

I am also battling the bulge. Doctor has me on probation. She said, my cholesterol number hadn't changed in a year. I think that's a good thing (201), but I have three months to lower my LDLs or go on meds. I'm gobbling the last of the peanut butter cookies. In a few days I will be reforming my ways. Or Liam's dinosaur will get me!


Dianna Graveman said...

Oh, Linda. I'm sorry to hear about your many crises! We too have had a challenging holiday season. I'm limping on a sore hip from a tumble after slipping on a muddy sidewalk, and we're both just plain exhausted. In fact, I am so ready to be done with the holiday chaos that I'd take the Christmas tree down today (12/26) if I wasn't too tired to do it! Hope you and Bill heal quickly, and here's to a calm few months ahead for all of us. Hugs.

Kim said...

I think you deserve combat pay... you're living in a dangerous house! I hope everything heals well, and things calm down very soon.

Sioux Roslawski said...

Linda--Bill never leaves you with a lack of writing material.

I hope Bill is back on the mend soon, and that you can avoid getting put on meds.

Connie said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry to hear of all that you have had to deal with of late! When it rains, it pours, doesn't it? I'm glad to hear you had a happy Christmas. Hope you're both on the mend and feeling better soon.

Val said...

Even Steven owes you some GOOD times!

Sorry to hear about your cheeks (both kinds) and thumb. Once Bill is done with his tune-up and in good running condition again, this will be even funnier to you.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Wow! You both need to stay in a padded room until you heal. You will recall that I hosted Thanksgiving and Breakfast with Santa. I was looking forward to a quiet Christmas day. Maybe go out for Chinese or have soup and sandwiches. Well, I got roped into hosting Christmas dinner. Supposed to be a small affair with only 8 of us, all about the same age. Quiet old people who would want to eat, then leave to take a nap. But, not so fast there, HeWho is an idiot invited a couple and their 4 kids! All of us were being discreet about our plans. This family has his parents close by and spent most of the day there. Our get together was for those of us without any family close by. I was so annoyed with him! The children complained that they had already eaten and wanted to go home to play with all their new toys. They were tired and prone to crying and acting out. It did not make for a quiet meal. I cooked all day and just now finished cleaning up. I let it be known that I would not be home for New Years. Don't know where I will be, but I am not hosting another to-do until NEXT YEAR!!

joeh said...

I was going to suggest you not leave home for a while, but then that is where most of these accidents happen.

Susan said...

Oh Linda, so sorry to hear of the troubles. And your poor sweetheart! What a bummer to go through all that at holiday time. Let's hope the new year will bring good things to both of you. I truly appreciate your visits and comments on my blog. You are a sweetie. Hugs. Susan

Pat Wahler said...

Oh dear! Reminds me of the old saying, "When it rains, it pours." Hope the sunshine soon returns to your world!