Wednesday, March 20, 2019

When your kite crashes

Ah, spring's promise. The poor daffodils took a hit with unexpected snow a couple weeks ago, but they ARE blooming, even though their stems are bent to the ground. I am so thrilled that the weather is finally warming a bit and sunny days are on the way.





I was three, and she was, too the first time our moms took us to the park to fly a kite.

The big kids in the park ran with tissue paper box kites, an unbelievable sight to behold. A gust of wind made them wobble then swept them up until they were soaring. I imagined them flying all the way to the zoo!

My mom and dad ran through the park trying to get my simple ten cent, diamond shape, tissue paper kite to lift off.

I knew I could do it "all by myself" if only I was taller, so I climbed on a bench and launched myself off holding my kite string. I ran through the open field. My dad grabbed my string and tugged. My kite lifted and sped past the treetops.

"Let me hold it. It's MY kite. I want to fly my kite!"

Dad tried to keep my pale yellow kite high, but slowly, slowly it swayed, tumbled, crashed, and smashed to smithereens.

Inconsolable, I cried and cried. I wanted my grandma!

I had no interest in kite flying as I grew up. I had been so devastated by my first kite experience I didn't even want to try again.

I married and had a baby girl. When she turned three, her daddy and I bought a plastic kite decorated with a kitty cat picture, and we took her to a ball field in our local park. 

Her daddy managed to get her kite aloft, and she squealed with delight. When her kite dived to the ground and the wooden crossbars broke, she plopped down on the dusty field and cried and cried.

No amount of soothing, hugging or talking calmed her. When we put her in the car, she screamed, "I want Nana!"

We had to drive to my mom's. That's all it took. Once she was in Nana's arms she was fine.

I, on the other hand, felt upset when Mom said, "Oh Baby, what did they do to my sweet little girl?"

"DO?! We helped her fly her kite, and then it crashed. Do you remember when ...?"

A wink and a knowing smile passed between Mom and me. 

Sometimes you just need your Nana.

Just a reminder: If your project seems unable to lift off, or you feel like your latest writing isn't taking flight, don't give up. Run a little farther, tug a little harder, and give your project more string (or time) to ascend to new heights. 

5 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

What a great story and a great connection to writing. You never fail to either entertain, inspire or both.

Pat Wahler said...

Perfect reminder, Linda, and a lovely story.

Sandi said...

That is some defiant blooming!

Your kite stories made me smile. Grandma hugs are the best.

Val said...

Grandmas are the wind beneath their kites. My boys didn't fly kites, but they felt the same way about their grandma.

Connie said...

Great story that serves as an excellent reminder to have patience with writing and other projects that may need a little more time or effort.