Sunday, August 30, 2015

Culture in the big city

Sunday dawned bright and humid, but that did not stop us from taking a shuttle to the International Institute's Festival of Nations, a cultural event held for the last 15 years in Tower Grove Park in the inner city of south St. Louis. When we passed a pavilion where my daughter danced when she was Liam's age, I almost cried remembering. The singers and musicians were delightful.
 
I especially enjoyed this duo, Four Shillings Short, who sang world Celtic/ Folk songs. What voices!

There was a food court with 43 booths featuring diverse foods from 43 different countries. There were craft booths, kids activities, demonstrations of native sports in the World Sports Meadow, world religions, craft demonstrations, belly dancing demonstrations, henna artists, a beer garden. Everything you can imagine. This man was preparing mussels and rice, and I don't know what else.
there were so many languages being spoken, and it felt so welcoming with lots of laughter, families.



There was fun-filled entertainment on several stages around the grounds, ethnic dancers and singers and performers. I could have stayed all day, but didn't. The heat got to us as we roamed around perusing the wares for sale. Look at these handmade baskets. The clothing and jewelry were a buyer's delight.


And as we were leaving I thought this man was giving pony rides, but when I looked closer, I noticed this gentleman was just bringing his dog to a dog friendly event. His pooch was bigger than Marmaduke.
And my blog post would not be complete without a photo of Liam. I bought him a new shirt for fall.
 

8 comments:

Susan said...

Oh my GOODNESS, Linda. That festival sounds awesome. I would have loved that. So glad you could go.

Thank you so much for all your visits. Love them. Susan

Val said...

When my husband and I both worked in St. Louis, I used to drive through Tower Grove Park on the days I dropped him off. I'll pass on the rice and clams. That dog is bigger than my mini pony! He could give Liam a ride. Liam is such a photogenic model.

Bookie said...

I would have loved this too!!! Heat is amazing right now...temp is not terrible high, but we feel hot, clammy and sweat! acutally an unscheduled rain has come up now. Liam is a doll...

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Glad you had a great time. Thanks for sharing that, and of course, the photo of your little man. He's so adorable, and he looks so grown up in that shirt!

Susan Sundwall said...

Thanks for the "trip", Linda. I would have been stuck at the 43 food vendors! Yup and it would have showed up on my hips. Love Liam's new shirt! Go Grandma. =0)

Tammy said...

...And he is modeling that shirt so well! Your post made me very sorry I missed it this year.

Connie said...

This looks like a fun way to spend the day. Liam is such a cutie!

Pat Wahler said...

Some friends of ours were there. They said the place was packed with people and hot, but they still had a great time.

Pat
Critter Alley