Saturday, January 23, 2016

Write to your reflection

What do you see when you look at your reflection? Do you point out flaws and tell yourself that you can't...? Well, I am here to tell you, if I can, YOU CAN! You have to believe in yourself.


You have a personal story to tell. Don't shrink away. Uncover those dusty stories in your drawers, in a computer file, or in your mind. It is difficult, and I can attest; revealing too much feels like hitting the beach in a bikini when you want to be wrapped in the towel, or in my case the beach blanket.

I felt short of breath when I even imagined telling my stories, much less sharing them. Uncomfortable topics are relatable because we all have skeletons in our closets. I've sold stories to The Salvation Army War Cry Magazine (on abuse), Releasing Times Magazine (family mental illness), and Chicken Soup for the Soul (divorce). I've also sold many upbeat and positive essays.

Don't wish to write for publication? Write to your reflection. Or address your younger self. Reach forward, into your future hopes and dreams, or back into your past where your stories reside.

 
In order to improve your craft you have to get messy. You will be surprised at what happens when you mess around with sentence structure, eliminate passive verbs, rearrange paragraphs. Too often we provide surface information, hide facts, hesitate to share the messiness of our lives. In delving deep we face our fears and learn our truths.
 
Try it, write a sentence for your eyes only. Then add details until you have a paragraph. Keep going until you develop a story rich in sensory details and strong emotions. Almost all of us have dealt with loss. Perhaps a job, loved one, an object. Don't be afraid to get messy. Truth is buried in the mess.
 
 
 Read your story aloud.
 
Now, I am going to share something with you.
 Put your cursor over this link to find many freelance publishing opportunities.
I am always willing to help a fellow writer, so if you need an idea, or help getting started on a sensitive topic, email me.

9 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Linda--Cute pictures of Liam.

And, you never fail to help out other writers with a generous and gifted spirit. Thanks for all you do for your writer friends...

Tammy said...

Wonderful wisdom, and wonderful link! Thank you so much! P.S.- That baby (?!) just gets cuter every time I see him!

Karen Lange said...

Excellent advice. Thanks for the encouragement!

Liam is adorable! Stay warm!

Susan said...

Thanks, Linda. You are wonderful! Susan

Bookie said...

STill wrestling with idea of novel on family!!! Lovely face on that Liam, such beautiful eyes!!!

noexcuses said...

Thank you, Linda! You are always encouraging me to take that next step. I think I can....I think I can! I have a ton of ideas, not so much time. I think I'll take it one idea at a time, one story at a time. Liam is a sweetheart and I am enjoying him through your pictures and stories about him. Thanks for sharing him! Liz

Val said...

Thanks for the link, and for guiding me in the past. Your help is much appreciated. Only this morning, I had three scathingly brilliant ideas. I can still remember one.

Liam is growing up so fast!

Connie said...

You always write such inspiring and encouraging blog posts. Thank you. And thank you for the list of links too!

Pat Wahler said...

Terrific advice, Linda!

Pat
Critter Alley