Sunday, May 29, 2016

Call it what you will

In one week I will be older and my story, The Feelings Flag, will be released and on shelves in this collection of stories, Chicken Soup for the Soul The Spirit of America. Perhaps you know a veteran who would enjoy this book. Release date is June 7th.

My grandparents are buried in family plot in a corner of a farmer's field in Jefferson City, MO. Dad called it Decoration Day; school called it Memorial Day. Dad would toss my mattress into the back of his panel truck/car and off we'd go on a road trip to decorate the gravesite and to visit my country cousins.

Most Americans will be outdoors this weekend, weather permitting, celebrating fun and family, and  remembering those who fought to keep us free.

I used to pledge allegiance to the flag, and I loved to sing patriotic songs without giving much thought to the meaning of the words or my freedoms.

Today I thank those who serve and have served in every branch of service.


I was a military wife. I remember hand washing my soldier's woolen uniform in a tiny trailer wash basin in Alaska, back in 1969-'70. That wet uniform weighed more than a sack of potatoes. Wringing it out was a challenge. Drying it indoors took days.

Dealing with the climate was a challenge, but nothing compared to the challenges of others who served during that period. While we were at the top of the world, others were battling in the Vietnam conflict.


8 comments:

Val said...

Congrats on your story!

My stepson did three tours of Iraq. We ran into a guy who served with him at the car dealer Thursday evening. He heard our last name and came over to say he knew The Veteran. They're a tight group.

Let the record show that I "bought" a Buddy Poppy yesterday.

Donna Volkenannt said...

Thanks for this post, Linda. The year my husband spent in Vietnam was a long one, but I'm sure it was even longer for him being away from me and our newborn daughter. But we survived.
I displayed my flag proudly this morning, and after church I stopped by Penney's--had to use that coupon, and the cashier asked if I wanted to add a donation for the Veteran's. And of course I did. It's good to see so many companies and organizations recognizing our vets.

Susan said...

Hi Linda....

Warm congratulations on your latest story coming out in the Chicken Soup book.

You have lots of "soldiering" memories from your Alaska experience. Always enjoy your sharing them.

Hope your holiday is terrific. Susan p.s. Thanks so much for your visits to my little corner of the world.

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Happy Birthday, and congratulations on your story!

Yes, I can relate to the pledge and the songs. It's only as I've grown older that I fully appreciate our freedom and understand the terrible cost. May we cherish and protect this gift we've been given.

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Good post, Linda. We fly our flag year around, and I make it a point to say thank you to every active duty soldier and veteran I meet. I'm grateful, too, and humbled by those who gave their lives, and the families who suffered the loss. I'm glad we have days to recognize our warrior heroes and their families.

DUTA said...

I wish you much success with your new story!

Americans are very patriotic, and I like that. Memorial Day is a great time to visit the military cemeteries and honor those that sacrificed their lives for a free and prosperous America.

Connie said...

Congratulations on your soon-to-be-released story! I hope you had a nice Memorial Day weekend.

Pat Wahler said...

Congrats on your latest publication, Linda! We have much to be grateful for, thanks to those who served.

Pat
Critter Alley