Wednesday, May 23, 2018

My heart was pounding!

Bill and I stood in the back yard yesterday morning and watched as a behemoth like this flew into our neighborhood with propellers/rotors/engine roaring. It kept descending behind our house. We were concerned there was a sick case and a neighbor was being airlifted to a hospital. We observed as the chopper headed down the block to the elementary school's open grassy area and landed.

ELEMENTARY school for goodness sake. NO! I couldn't imagine another horrific event. Not in my own neighborhood. It made me sick to think about what might be going on.

Then a police helicopter followed the same flight path. Out front a S.W.A.T. tactical vehicle, firetruck and other emergency vehicles pulled into the school parking lot. I shouted for Liam and swept Alex up and hooked him into the stroller and away we went.

I realized what it was, career day at the local elementary school. Thank God! What a fun way to end a school year. The students filed out of the building and visited the various community helpers and their vehicles, and I'm sure they learned a lot.

Liam and Alex and I sat at a picnic table and observed from afar. Quite a thrill and lots of excitement in our neighborhood.

8 comments:

Susan said...

Whew! Thank goodness it was something GOOD, Linda. Susan p.s. No, my new dolly is not a Madame Alexander. She's just a cheap imitation but I like her. Isn't she the cutest? $2.79 at Goodwill. ha haha

Sandi said...

Career Day!

Whew...

Val said...

Those vehicle sightings must have been some excitement for Liam!

Connie said...

That must have been quite a sight to see all of those vehicles come around at once. I'm glad it wasn't the emergency it might have been.

Pat Wahler said...

I'm sure the kids loved seeing the helicopter and emergency vehicles. So exciting for them!

www.patwahler.com

Merlesworld said...

That was exciting, but we always think the worst these days.
Merle.........

Susan Sundwall said...

From fear to fun in one fell swoop. A tale to tell as your little ones learn and grow. Glad it wasn't the other way around!

Mary Horner said...

I'm sure the boys enjoyed watching them! Thanks for sharing this story with a happy ending!