Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Almost a tragedy

Yesterday at 2:30, we heard the school bus pull up in front of our house on a four lane street to drop off the two middle school boys next door. Then we heard an awful boom, grinding, and metal on metal collision.

Seems a BMW driver driving at high rate of speed passed the bus on the right side at our curb and drove up on our sidewalk, just as the bus driver opened her door to let the boys exit. Before they did, the car driver nearly ripped the school bus door off and sent shattered glass imploding into the bus. Kids screaming, but unhurt. Female bus driver shook up and in disbelief that the BMW would deliberately pass on the right on the sidewalk.

We figured the driver didn't realize the bus was stopped (along with two lanes of traffic) and tried to avoid rear ending a vehicle at a high rate of speed.

Can only hope nobody would deliberately ... It was a hit and run. Busted up our concrete sewer; rebar exposed.


We are so thankful the neighbor boys are unhurt and alive.
What a fright.


3 comments:

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear this. So thankful no one was hurt. That poor bus driver having to deal with it all. I always feel bad for everyone involved in a car accident. It's getting so crowded out there, and we all make mistakes. I've had to go on the freeway at times when I did not want to, and it's pretty scary. I'm glad your neighbor boys are alright.

Have a wonderful start to the Christmas season, Linda.

~Sheri

Kathy G said...

Wow! I hope they find the driver and throw the book at them.

Val said...

Maybe someone in the neighborhood has a RING camera that caught some identifying characteristics. Or repair shops might be able to give a tip. It might have been an accident, but leaving the scene suggests a person with something to hide.

I've never seen as many bad drivers as I have encountered over the past two years. I don't know if they're distracted by their phones, or drugged-up, or living in their own world and expect people to get out of their way.

Thank goodness all the kids are okay. My biggest gripe lately is when I'm actively backing out of a parking space, and another driver pulls in from the street and darts behind me, rather than wait. Happened twice last week. I had to slam on the brakes.