Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Writing REWARDS not AWARDS

The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it.
~John Ruskin

This is especially true with writing. I just submitted a 2,000 word personal narrative to Voices of Alzheimers, LaChance Publishing. My intent of course was publication, but the end result isn't as important now. In writing this piece, I relived a heart wrenching experience and was able to work through some grief. I have become stronger by having written it.

In teaching preschoolers, although I do toil, I am rewarded with satisfaction of witnessing their growth, and I get at least a laugh a day from a student's quip. Yesterday a five year old boy was inviting others to his house. "If you see a golden retriever that doesn't listen, then you know you're at my house."

6 comments:

K9friend said...

Art Linkletter was right. Kids do say the darndest (and funniest) things!

Good luck with the submission, I'm sure it will do well.

irishoma said...

What a great attitude! Love the quote from the five-year old.

BECKY said...

I know exactly what you mean, Linda. Writing is so therapeutic! Good luck with the submission!

Linda O'Connell said...

Pat, Donna and Becky,
Thanks for your responses. One of these days I will write all those cute little quips and send them to a publsiher. The best one was at Thanksgiving when I was teaching about Native Americans and a little girl said, "My daddy is a naked American too."

Tammy said...

You always leave me with a lesson AND a smile...you have a gift! Thanks for giving of it!

Cathy C. Hall said...

Hahahaha! I taught preschool, too. Biggest regret is that I didn't go straight home and write down what those kids said. That, and wearing white pants to work.