Wednesday, April 23, 2014

All kinds of blues

 
Sailing-sailing over the ocean blue...
Spring break finally arrived. This winter was brutal and seemed never-ending. The thought of taking a cruise to the tropics in spring kept me working all winter, otherwise I'd have hibernated.
 
We left New Orleans and headed out to sea in a thunderstorm. The weather cleared as we reached the Gulf of Mexico, and by the time we arrived at our first port, Costa Maya, Mexico we were ready for the beach. How disappointing for us (and many others) to discover a rocky beach which was not accessible. Most people returned to the ship right away.
 
Our next port, Mahogany Bay in Roatan, Honduras was a glimpse of paradise on earth. The flora and fauna were incredibly beautiful, the water as turquoise as the top stripe on my sun dress.
 
Sunshine was the elixir that I needed to recoup from winter weather. I absorbed it through my skin. It warmed my body, heart and soul. 
 
 
Although, I am back in town, a little piece of my heart is right there on that beach. After this port of call we swam in the Caribbean Sea in Cozumel, Mexico. I walked the beach. SIGH
 
Come back again for more photos. We were so fortunate to have arrived in New Orleans a day early. We unexpectedly discovered the largest three day jazz festival in the nation going on in the French Quarter and along the River Walk. I will post pictures of some of the scenery around New Orleans on my next post.
 
I am too blessed to be stressed. I returned to a slew of mail. The best: a check and contributor's copy of  the June issue of Good Old Days Magazine in which my story, Grandma's Machines is published, along with a photo of me at age three.
 
I also received a check from Sasee Magazine for my story, We Do, about Bill and me still saying, "I do," to each other after all these years. "Do you have a pain in your knee?"  "I do!"
 
Last but not least, I did the happy dance when I opened a large envelope and discovered a check and award certificate from Missouri Writer's Guild. My story, In Preparation for the Big Dump, took third place in the Humor Category at the 2014 conference.
 
Chicken Soup is looking for stories about miracles/angels. So is Whispering Angel Books, and Not Your Mother's Books is seeking immediate stories for their "in the work place" anthology.
~Write on~

18 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Linda--I am so glad you had such a wonderful trip. I'm also glad you're back home. (We WWWPs missed you.)

And congratulations. Congratulations. Congratulations. (Is that enough congrats for this batch of mail?) You are a gifted AND busy writer.

(In that part of the world there are lots of tropical birds. Did any birdlike woman try to snatch Bill away during your trip?)

Dianna Graveman said...

Lovely pictures, Linda! You look so tanned and relaxed in the photos. Glad you came home to such good news, too!

Bookie said...

Your good time shows in your face! Glad you had such a great trip. And to come home to money in the mail! Perfect!

River said...

Beach, ocean, and look at the size of that boat!
You look so relaxed, holidays and sunshine are great for that.

Susan Sundwall said...

Wow, a sunny vacay and happy dance writing news to come home to. Doesn't get better than that! =0)

Debra Mayhew said...

Linda, this sounds like your kind of vacation and your kind of homecoming! So happy for you on both counts!

Shelly said...

What a great trip, and with something wonderful to come home to! Congratulations!

Susan said...

Hi Linda!

WELCOME BACK! I know how happy warm weather and the beach make you. Soooooo glad you were able to go. Sounded great.

Wowsers. You returned home to three checks from your writing. How awesome is that?

Take care and enjoy the rest of the week! Susan p.s. Missed you!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had such a nice vacation and coming home to checks in the mail is always a nice thing! I imagine:-)

Alice said...

Kind a sorry you didn't have your usual mishaps (just kidding).
Sunshine and vacations do wonders for the soul!

Connie said...

Great pictures! Looks like a wonderful vacation. Congratulations on all your writing successes too!

Pat Wahler said...

H'mm, Linda, I think your story took second place. Check out the Guild website. And congrats!

Pat
Critter Alley

Val said...

Congrats on your mail. That's a BIG boat behind you!

Lynn said...

Lovely photos, glad you had a wonderful time and triple congrats!

Tammy said...

Congratulations, and what a wonderful way to end a cool vacation! Sort of softens the blow of having to return home, huh?!

Kim Lehnhoff said...

I hope your cruisemates provided you with tons of blog fodder!

Glad you had a chance to get away...I'd love that!

Debora said...

Those warm blue waters look so inviting. I think it must be something instinctive, the longing for the sea. Thanks for sharing your vacation. And 3 checks? At this rate you'll be retiring and moving to a cottage by the sea to write...

Janet, said...

What a nice warm vacation! And congratulations on the contents of your mailbox. That was something great to come back to.