Friday, April 11, 2014

In my Easter bonnet

I know my coworker is sick and tired of hearing me sing along to Irving Berlin's "In Your Easter Bonnet" on the (ancient) record player at school everyday. I play it over and over. I tell her it's payback for my having to listen to her play the Muppet's Christmas CD at Christmas. So, for a week in December and April, we both grin and bear it.

The record is  a 33 rpm, which means there are several themed songs on it: Bunny Hop, Peter Rabbit, Little Ducky etc. The minute I hear the musical intro to "Easter Parade" I am transported to childhood. No matter how hectic the day, hearing Bing Crosby croon "In your Easter bonnet with all the frills upon it..." actually calms me. It lowers my blood pressure, I'm quite certain. Those lyrics evoke memories of my own Easter bonnets and my daughter's Easter bonnets. Do they even have Easter bonnets anymore?

Here is a photo taken in April, 1951 on my grandma's steps. My cousin, Jerry 20 months old,
 me, 21 months old, my brother John, 9 months. Look at that expression on my face. Stinky boys!

.

My fondest memories are not of the baskets and goodies. Back then it was strictly candy and not soccer balls and big toys in oversized store bought prepared baskets like today.

The eggs were real, boiled, and breakfast!

I envision myself at age 7 wearing a fancy dress. I have a matching bonnet and purse. I am wearing my little white gloves and patent leather Mary Janes heading into Sunday School class with my banana curls bouncing. The teacher places a potted pansy planted in a plastic margarine container in my hands. It is mine. Each child receives one. What a thrill! She says it is a sign of hope, and God's love, rebirth and resurrection. I am just a little girl. The Bible story and Easter message is simplified, but I understand.

To this day when I hear that song, "In your Easter bonnet..." I smile and go home. I inhale the aroma of cutlets frying and sliced potatoes and onions sizzling on the stove... I hear my dad's guitar picking and singing; my mom's voice; my brother begging me for a turn. I was way too bossy.

When I hear "Easter Parade" I am a little girl again...
I get a whiff of spring air...circa 1956.

Wishing each of you a happy and blessed Easter. I will be going on spring break, which means I will be reading comments related to this post and then taking a blog break. Thank you all for your visits. Please come back in a week or so.

16 comments:

Julia Gordon-Bramer said...

Oh my gosh, Linda! That picture is precious.

Val said...

Love that picture! I certainly remember the real Easter eggs in the basket, not those plastic things that you feel obligated to fill with a piece of candy or some cash. Woe were the slackadaisical egg-hunters who neglected to find a dyed egg hidden in the house by the Easter Bunny. It had a way of announcing its presence at a later date.

Sioux Roslawski said...

Val is right. That photo is priceless. (Your cousin is a hilarious-looking doll.)

And stinky boys? They don't improve much when they get to be in their 50's, their 60's or their 70's...

Bookie said...

Yes, sweet photo...and I love the Easter Bonnet song too! Oh, how I loved a new hat for Easter...such fun. Wish hats were still so popular. Happy Easter to you and yours, Linda!

River said...

It's one of my favourite golden oldies too.

noexcuses said...

I never had an Easter bonnet, or if I did, there are no pictures...but I enjoyed going back to that wonderful time with you... so easy and fun. Thank you for sharing!

Susan said...

Awwwww, you were a darling little girl, Linda. Just adorable.

Enjoy your break! Susan

Connie said...

Wonderful memories and a lovely post, Linda. Love the photo too. Happy Easter! I hope you enjoy your break.

Lynn said...

You're adorable! What a beautiful picture. Happy spring break!

Pat Wahler said...

I remember the days of Easter bonnets, too, and still enjoy hearing Judy Garland and Fred Astaire sing that lovely Easter duet.

Hope you and yours have a blessed Easter holiday.

Pat
Critter Alley

Mevely317 said...


... and now, I'm humming right along! That's a great song!

I'm trying to recall just when those bonnets fell out of fashion? Silly move, eh?

Hope you're thoroughly enjoying your break!

Tammy said...

This post brought back some precious memories, so I definitely do understand the need to play Easter songs. Absolutely adorable picture, too. Enjoy your break!

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Love this post, and that picture. Thanks for sharing your Easter memories. They brought me back to some of mine, and that's always a good thing.

Debora said...

Love that song! I too, wore a fancy Easter dress, white patent leather Mary Janes, and bobby socks with lace on the edges. And I distinctly remember having a hat and a bright yellow coat!

Cathy C. Hall said...

Know exactly what you mean, Linda. There are just some things--a song, a smell, an image--that are so evocative. And for a moment, I was right there with you, in the Easter bonnet.

Enjoy spring break!

Beth M. Wood said...

Love the picture you posted... and the one you painted with your words. Great memories - and more to come with your new GREAT grandson on the way! Hope you are enjoying your Spring Fling!!