Sunday, April 6, 2014

How do I do it?


Please stop by Debora Rorvig's blog at the link below. Scroll down her blog a little bit and read her right sidebar: I am

When I first read that, it touched me very deeply. I encourage all of you to do an "I AM" of your own.

http://thingsthatarelovely.blogspot.com/

Readers, I'd like to thank all of you who nominated me as the next person to reveal something about myself as a writer. I also need to apologize for not doing this sooner and for turning some of you down. The writing life for me is wild-crazy at the moment, not to mention preschool.

What are you working on right now?
I am doing a final edit on the book above. Not Your Mother's Book...On Family has been a labor of love. Its release date will be June 10th. I am a co-creator of this anthology which means I aided publishers and owners of Publishing Syndicate, Ken and Dahlynn McKowen on the selection, and layout of stories. I was one of many editors who looked over the book. The publishers had final say, of course. I am busy setting up book signings and preparing for a launch along with Dianna Graveman who is co-creator of Not Your Mother's Book...on Being a Mom.

I would also like to do a book signing for the Chicken Soup Alzheimer's and Other Dementias book. If anyone has contacts, please let me know. Proceeds to benefit the Alzheimer's foundation.

I am also editing a book length manuscript for a writer. It is a fun read because I recognize some of the "fictional" characters in our community. No, I cannot reveal any details.

I am trying to meet April 15th deadlines for freelance opportunities, and I am also trying to keep up with blog posts.

How does my work differ from others in the genre?
I am a multi genre writer but I write mostly creative non-fiction and personal essay. I write from my heart with the intent to engage the reader using sensory details and life-like dialogue. I touch on human emotion and write slice of life vignettes. I try to add a dash of humor and use metaphor to address an issue.

I write and release, knowing some of my stories will fill a niche while others will not be considered for a particular publication. Rejection only means recycling for me.

Why do I write what I do?
I write to touch others. I write because I want to share my experiences. I keep my circus drama and monkeys to myself, but in everyone's life a few clown's must come, so I often bare my soul to connect with the reader. The broad range of human emotion has touched all of us. I want my work to be relatable.

How does my writing process work?
I write best under pressure. Today was the deadline for an assigned six page article. I tackled it last night and put the finishing touches on it a few minutes ago. That's how I operate. I edit as I go and then lay my work aside for a few hours, or a day, and I come back and edit again.

I do not write everyday, but when I do write, I write intensely.  I go like gangbusters in January. Typically I submit anywhere from 15-20 pieces in January.

Then, reality hits me. I try to send out at least five submissions per month. That is my personal quota, although I have submitted more in spring, and less in fall when I am returning to a new school year.

I wake early, around 5:00, peruse the internet for writing markets and sometimes get lost on social media. If I see a particular call out  that appeals to me, I will begin right away. I may only write a sentence or jot an idea and allow it to germinate into a story. But it is right there on my desk top beckoning me to add details.

I do not like writing on command, and I find it difficult to write in workshops and produce something in fifteen minutes. I need to think it through, find a direction, and then follow the path it takes me. Sometimes I surprise myself.

I am passing this on to anyone who wishes to participate. Please link to my blog if you do. I would appreciate it.



 

12 comments:

Bookie said...

You get an amazing amount of work done considering you work fulltime too. This is my favorite line in the blog:I do not write everyday, but when I do write, I write intensely. I think that could speak for me as well...although you still outdo me! Have a good Sunday, Linda.

Mevely317 said...

Well, I think you're amazing, Linda!
... I don't get around (writers' world) as much as I'd like, but was enormously reassured by your own aversion to 'writing on command' and 15-min. freestyle. Oh, I've signed up for more than one of those workshops and come away feeling like a failure.

Have a great week!

Sioux Roslawski said...

So, you keep your circus drama and your monkeys (Bill--your main monkey) to yourself?

Thanks. And thanks for writing in the way that you do because you DO touch your readers. You make us tear up and you make us laugh.

Tammy said...

I for one am glad you have a few clowns, because the show is spectacular. Great answers, Linda!

Val said...

You are SO organized! I love how your stories have that clown who jumps out at the end to surprise us.

Susan said...

Hello Linda....I think you are amazing.

I love your writing. To think that you work full time with the little kids and still get published as much as you do is truly commendable.

You rock, girlfriend! Susan

Debra Mayhew said...

I loved reading about your writing process, Linda. Your byline speaks for itself. What you're doing is working! And "write from the heart" describes your style beautifully. I always enjoy reading your stories and articles and am amazed that you manage to squeeze so much in to a day!

Debora said...

Thanks Linda, for featuring my blog...just a little correction, the last name is Rorvig. But I'm not the least offended; it's a strange last name! I gotta say, I so admire your tenacity in holding yourself to 5 submissions per month. I need to emulate that!

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Hey Linda - I loved reading more about "the author you," because even though I visit here all the time you've perfected the art of making each visit feel like having a cup of tea with a friend, rather than just "reading what the author wrote." That's probably why you're such a success story. Kudos on all your submissions!

Lynn said...

You're amazing and it sounded even more so in this!!!

Anonymous said...

You are a wonderful story teller and have a terrific sense of humor, Linda!

Connie said...

You are a busy lady! It was interesting to read how you go about getting things done.