Sunday, October 22, 2017

Say what you mean and mean what you say? Or say it your way.

Last week, Liam, who was three in June, asked me if we were going to get a pumpkin.
I replied, " We'll get a pumpkin today. Yes siree, Bob!"

He put his hands on hips and said, "I am not BOB! I am Liam."

Naturally I laughed out loud. 

I researched the origin of that phrase. Some websites claimed "Bob" was used as a euphemism for the word, "God" and the idiom came into use at the end of the 19th century. Some said it was slang, informal and rural colloquialism.

Did you ever hear or use this phrase? Or am I really dating myself?

According to the Grammarist, an idiom is a phrase that is more than the sum of its parts, or in other words, has more of a meaning than the individual words used in the phrase. Examples include pay the piperfor the birds, and pulling one’s leg.

 Idiom is also a synonym for dialect, a way of speech particular to a geographical area that has specific vocabulary, syntax, and grammar. Finally, it can be used to describe a method of expression particular to a person, time period, or object.

colloquialism is a phrase that has risen from verbal speech. The only criteria for this designation is that the word or phrase be extremely informal. They may originate from a dialect, but do not have to. Examples include a whole nothercould care less, and raring to.

Do you care to leave any of your examples? Other than, "So hungry I could eat a horse."


7 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

If I was doing something hurriedly and recklessly, my family would say, "You're doing it like you're killin' snakes."

If we took too much of any food on our plate and were unable to eat it, they'd say, "Your eyes were bigger than your stomach."

From Laugh-In we got, "You bet your bippy."

That's all I have for now...

Val said...

Well, I just used "No siree, Bob!" today. So I HAVE heard that expression.

"Fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down."

"You'd complain if you were hung with a new rope."

"Faster than grease through a goose."

"He doesn't have two nickels to rub together."

Kathy's Klothesline said...

"dumb as a door"
"beat with the ugly stick"

and from my childhood
"you ain't the onliest one"
"you make me funny"

Susan Sundwall said...

"If the good Lord's willin' and the creek don't rise"

"Higher than a kite"

"Happier than a pig in slop"

And "Yes sirree, Bob" is very familiar to this gal who's "older than dirt" !

Karen Lange said...

I've heard of Bob! Probably even said it growing up. It's interesting to see where these things originated. Liam sounds like such a smart little man. :)

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

"Yes sirree, Bob" is in my personal repertoire, so I guess I'm also dating myself! I think Bob is dating a lot of us . . . he really gets around. lol

Pat Wahler said...

No wonder it's so difficult for people to learn the English language. It has to be among the toughest to master.

www.patwahler.com