Friday, October 13, 2017

Do you compare? How are You Growing?

I began "officially" writing and submitting in 1997. I have come a long way as a self-taught freelance writer. I was looking through some of my old files, comparing my earlier writing to my more recent.

 It is evident I have grown in my literary life. I have access to a computer now, which I did not have when I began. I was thrilled the day my honey purchased a word processor for me at a yard sale from a college student. Still had to use the whiteout strip, but I didn't care. Now I have the Internet at my fingertips. Research is effortless, and my writing life has improved immensely. 

We are all at different levels of development whether it is in our writing, or personal growth, and we should not compare ourselves to others. 

But I cannot help comparing cuteness today
I babysat Alex on Thursday, which was his mommy's birthday.    

Happy birthday to my first grandchild, Ashley, shown here at two days old.


 Alex, at two months old, looks like his mama when she was a baby. He did not like the bright sky outdoors, but he did enjoy his stroller ride. He is beginning to mimic vocal play. I love snuggling and playing with this little cutie. He is so precious. I must remember not to compare him to
you know who...

 Happy Liam, at four months old, loved EVERYTHING and still does. He has a zest for life and has the same personality as his mommy. His vocabulary is superior and his reasoning is amazing.

At 3 years and three months old, Liam loves the different playgrounds around town, and he tells us which color he wants to visit. He recently returned from a camping trip with his paternal grandparents. He is talking a mile a minute about all the things he did.

These three years have flown by, and I can hardly imagine Alex this big, but growing up seems to happen in the blink of an eye. I feel so blessed to be a grandma to all of our "babies," big and little.

Now let's talk about your writing... have you been writing, and submitting? Get those babies out there. Your words impact others. Wishing you a beautiful day, and hoping to see some of you at Spencer Library in St. Charles tomorrow form 10-2.

7 comments:

Cathy C. Hall said...

Comparison is the thief of joy, Linda, but I think in the case of these ridiculously cute babies, I'll give you a pass! :-)

(Have fun tomorrow!)

Val said...

Wow! Liam has grown up SO FAST! And baby Alex DOES look like his mama.

I won't comment on my writing and submitting because...well...there's nothing to comment on.

Susan Sundwall said...

I took most of the summer off from writing because we were deluged with company and travel. But I'm back in the saddle now and have submitted to Purpose (accepted) Prairie Times (accepted) Woman's World (Never been accepted, but I keep on) and a few others I can't remember right now. Oh - I entered a poetry contest, too. So, onward we go until the holidays intrude. Right? Love, love the munchkin pics, Linda!

Susan said...

Hi Linda...Your grands are so darling. I can imagine how they make your heart overflow with love. No, I haven't been sending freelance materials out because I've had houseguests. Plus, I write feature stories for a weekly newspaper. Time seems quite limited. Hope that is not an excuse, however. I do admire your freelance fire! Also, as always, I truly appreciate your visits to my blog. Hugs, kiddo....Susan

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Love the baby pics. Keep 'em coming. :) I do have a novel ms out on submission, but I'm busy at work on another. After all, it could take up to a year or more to hear back on the submission, and the truth is that it is more likely to be a rejection than an acceptance. But I keep on plugging.

Pat Wahler said...

What a couple of cutie-patooties! And how fun that you get to spend so much time with them.

I'm always distracted from writing by other projects. Plus all the marketing work for the two books coming out next year. When I'm lucky, I eke out a few more words on a new historical novel.

www.patwahler.com

Donna Volkenannt said...

You are so blessed with your grandchildren and now great-grandchildren. They are adorable.

I am back to doing some writing but haven't submitted in a few months because I'm back working on my novel which I have neglected to long.