Wednesday, December 20, 2017

I messed up!

Cookie baking is like having a baby. Okay, not really, but the pain and aggravation I go through every December is forgotten by the next year, and I do it again, and again, year after year.

The urge to bake has been all-consuming this week. I have been waking at 5:00 a.m. baking cookies until 8:00.

Now that I have dozens and dozens of cookies stacked to be distributed to the teens and
twenty-somethings on Monday, I am convinced this is the last year for cookie baking.  My last batch did me in! I used three cups of butter to make what I thought was tinted red and green butter cookies with a marachino cherry on top. Somehow I copied a recipe for drier-than-dirt shortbread cookies instead!

My mom and I used to go to the neighborhood bakery to purchase saucer-sized melt-in-your-mouth butter cookies.

I so had my hopes up, and you can only imagine my disgust when I bit into dry, tasteless shortbread, despite the almond extract. Oh well, I saved a dozen and dipped them in melted dark chocolate. The rest...well, not my best.

Have you been baking?  

8 comments:

Susan Sundwall said...

Yes - I have been baking! Freezer so full there's no room for regular food. By this time next week they'll all be gone. Sniff. Hope you had your Christmas music on while you slaved away for a good cause. Merry Christmas to you any yours, Linda. God bless 'n Hugs.

Terri Elders said...

Oh, Linda...thanks for sharing. Another friend had a cookie-baking meltdown, too, confusing her rum ball recipe with her sugar cookie one...and ended us wasting a wholee batch and a couple of hours work.I don't think red wine pairs with cookie-baking, so don't do any in the evenings. But you know what? I miss homemade fruit cake like my Grandma Gertie used to make. Maybe next year?

Pat Wahler said...

No baking for me because I end up eating the product. It's safer if I go somewhere and buy a single cookie to satisfy my cravings than to have a whole batch tempting me. As a result, I've discovered Starbuck's snowman sugar cookie. Heavenly!

www.patwahler.com

Val said...

I'm not a baker, but I've fired up the oven to make about 6 double batches of Chex Mix over the past two weeks. Making Chex Mix is like tending a toddler Goldilocks. You have to watch it constantly, and keep that temperature just right at 250 degrees. You can't really concentrate on anything else, or get much done, what with stirring it every 15 minutes for two hours.

I had a whole batch ready to go into the oven, except for the garlic powder and garlic salt. I WAS OUT OF GARLIC POWDER! I'd set out a new shaker, and it was another salt. Good thing I noticed. I found some ROASTED garlic powder in my cabinet, and used that. Shh...don't tell the folks who are getting that batch. They might not notice, only eating it once a year.

Connie said...

I did bake one batch of peanut butter, chocolate chip cookies. I cheated a bit, though, and bought two pounds of cookies from the cookie exchange at church for the rest of my holiday cookies. I figure everybody wins. The church receives the donation, my family still gets homemade cookies, and I don't have to spend hours in the kitchen baking the way I have done in years past. I hope you have a Merry Christmas!

Sandi said...

“Cookie baking is like having a baby.“

I don’t ever want to watch you make cookies!

;-)



Susan said...

Hi Linda. Sorry about the cookie mishap. I'm sure you'll have many really good ones, too. This year I truly baked very little, especially compared to other years. I've been trying to watch the carbs. That's not to say none have gone down the gullet. ha! Hope you and your lovely family will have a great holiday. Merry Christmas, Linda. Susan

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

In spite of your "oopsie," those cookies have love in them, and you can't beat that! I used to bake tons when my kids were little, but I don't anymore. No problem eating the baked goods that show up at my door, though. lol Merry Christmas, Linda!