Friday, December 8, 2017

When your life turns upside down

"What is he doing?" Bill asked when he caught three-year-old Liam bent over, gazing into a spoon, hanging his head upside down so close to the floor it looked like he might be going to tumble.

I knew right away, because my sweet baby had been in the kitchen rummaging through the junk drawer (everyone has one) mistaking it for the silverware drawer.

"What are you looking for?" I asked.

"That big magic spoon."




I handed him a shiny serving spoon, and he went off to play, or so I thought.

Hubby said Liam turned his head this way and that as he tried repeatedly to invert his image in the spoon. I guess he figured if he stood on his head it would happen.

How to explain the principles of curved surface reflections? Light travels straight until it hits a curved surface.

The concave bowl of the spoon bounces incoming rays back toward a central focus point lying between your face and the center of  the spoon. In passing through this point, rays from the upper part of your face are reflected downward, while those from the lower part are reflected upward, thus an UPSIDE DOWN IMAGE.

We've all had an upside down kind of day where everything seems backwards or goes wrong. 

Today I tried my best to leave a book review. I failed miserably after several attempts to sign in or even change the password. The more I tried to straighten things, the more upside down it all became. 

Sometimes you have to back off when standing on your head doesn't do the trick. After calming down, I tried a new approach and changed my husband's password and got into the website  that way. I will deal with him later. 

7 comments:

Connie said...

Cute story! I can imagine Liam trying to do this. Haha! Glad you were able to get into the website. Sometimes it takes looking at things from a new perspective to discover a solution to a problem.

Sandi said...

Everyone needs a magic spoon. :)

Cathy C. Hall said...

Hahahaa! And P.S. I'm so glad you explained that whole spoon thing--I've always wondered! (I thought it was magic, too. :-) )

Val said...

I'm hoping that Liam shared the magic spoon, and kept Bill occupied for a while, too.

Susan said...

Leave it to Liam to discover the wonders of life at Grammie's. Susan

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

What a great story! I had no idea that's how the upside down thing happened, so thanks. :) And thanks for all the trouble on that review. Your efforts, and your hubby's password sacrifice, are much appreciated!

Susan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.