Saturday, April 23, 2016

Check out his name tag

 
I saw a sign for a church rummage sale and decided to stop. I was a bit over dressed in black slacks, blazer and lacy white blouse. I was on my way to the memorial service for a woman I went to college with. I worked with her daughters who are teachers, and her granddaughter who did her practicum with me in my class.
 
I saw this little cutie with a rather expensive  $5.00 price tag, since most things were a dollar or less. When I saw the shirt embroidered with his name, I KNEW I had to have Little Ricky Ricardo. He is an original 1953 vintage American Character doll, with rubber body, fixed straight legs, jointed arms, and original clothing, including a felt diaper with  old pins. He drinks and wets, too. Ricky, Jr. has been loved very much as you can see. Do you remember when Lucy was really expecting Little Ricky? This baby doll takes me way back.
 
I wonder what his value is. I am certain my granddaughter, Nicole will inherit him from me someday, unless someone can tell me he's worth a mint...and then I may sell him and move to the beach where I can hide my embarrassed face.
 
I drove to the memorial service in the inner city. Wondered why the church parking lot was empty. Tried the front doors. Locked. Saw a group of men congregating near the rear entrance. Wondered if Evie had a very colorful past, but didn't dare head that way. Got back in my car, checked the information and realized the service is 3rd Saturday in May and the men were homeless, waiting for a food handout. 
 
 
 
 
 

5 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Maybe the next time Antique Roadshow is close to here, you can take Little Ricky with you... along with Sas.

Val said...

Little Ricky is a little scary.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Well, at least you got a doll and if you had gone to the rear of the church, you could have had lunch!! Look on Pinterest for doll hair conditioner. I have seen it, just can't remember what the formula is.

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

You may have had the date wrong, but your heart was in the right place. :) The doll is...interesting. There is something about those old dolls that kinda creep me out. Not sure why.

Connie said...

Cool find in the doll. He does look like he's been well-loved. At least you were too early instead of too late for the service.