Sunday, April 10, 2016

Simple reminders a peek into the past

I am not advertising for Zulily, but when I saw this ad pop up on my Facebook page, I envisioned my mom. This is the style of dress she liked and looked so cute in when she was young and 5'2". Every time I look at this photo I see my sweet little mom's face and the way she held herself so tall, chin high, bright-eyed, smiling, teased hairdo. This image takes me back so many years and makes me feel melancholy.

Strange how clothing can resurrect memories. When I saw a man walk into a restaurant wearing suspenders, I envisioned my step dad. He loved his suspenders and wore them even with his undershirts when he was in the house. He was not heavy and did not require suspenders to hold up his pants. Just something he liked.

When he was older and suffering from forgetfulness, he would shuffle along and slowly navigate a shopping cart up and down the aisles of Aldi's, carefully selecting the best bargains.

Mom, wiry and impulsive, was always wishing he'd hurry up. Pops wished she'd go wait in my car, which she often did, as I was their transportation. I had to listen to her impatient prattling.

"He's so slow. I could have it all in the cart and packed up by now!"
I'd say, "Leave him alone. He loves this."
She'd say, "I'm going in there and tell him to come on!"
I'd ask, "Why? It will only frustrate him. Calm down."

Then we'd chat until she thought again about how pokey he was. I'd say, "What good is it going to do to go in there and frustrate him?"

She'd agree. We'd belly ache or brag some more about my kids and grandkids.

There's a brand new Aldi's grocery store being built in our neighborhood. So many reminders...so many wonderful blessed memories. Today I am missing my parents. This morning I wanted to pick up the phone and call my mom. Does that ever happen to you?

 

11 comments:

tracboy2 said...

Great memories. I still have Gram's phone number on my cell phone. So many times I go to call her...& realize that there is no phone number for Heaven.😢

Pat Wahler said...

I often think of my parents and miss them so much.

Spending time with my kids and grandkids helps. Time flies away in the blink of an eye.

Pat
Critter Alley

Connie said...

I frequently think of my parents and wish I could talk with them again. I have such good memories of them, though, so I'm grateful for that.

Val said...

Yes. I always want to call my mom to rehash our favorite TV shows.

Anonymous said...

Great memories. Nice to hear about it. Happy Monday...

Sioux Roslawski said...

Linda--It's amazing how something small will bring a flood of memories.

I too think of my mom and dad quite often.

Bookie said...

The older I get and the more people I lose, the more I have these moments. Sometimes I have moments where I am back in time for just a sec feeling and seeing and being in a previous world.

Karen Lange said...

It's funny how little things prompt memories. Polka dots do it for me - my mom had several outfits with the happy print, and whenever I see them I think of her. As for wanting to call them - yes, I do! Both my mom and younger sister died in 2010, and it still crosses my mind to pick up the phone and give them a call. Dad's still around, so I call him instead. :)

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Does it ever happen to me? Ten times a day. *sigh* I miss my parents terribly. Clothes don't often do it for me (except for suspenders, because my FIL wore them every day, and bow ties---he didn't like regular neckties), but songs do, all the time. I'm sorry you're missing your parents today. Some days are worse than others. It's rather bittersweet...happy for the memories, but wish you didn't have to pay for them with that tinge of sadness. Still, I'm certain that you, like me, are grateful for all the reasons to think of them!

BECKY said...

Love those clothes! I can picture my mother and my older sisters wearing them. They all sewed, too, and made pretty dresses. The person I miss the most is my oldest sister, Jo Ann. I think of her every single day. I think of my mother, too, but I don't miss her the way I miss Jo Ann....it's a long story, but you already know it, Linda! I'm sorry that you were feeling sad and hope you're better today. Sending hugs to you!

Susan Sundwall said...

Linda, our mom died 5 years ago Mother's Day. Still miss her, but know she's waiting for me at the great banquet. She loved butterflies and I think of her whenever I see one. I have her cute denim jacket and wear it often. Great post!