Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Hands on learning vs worksheets


Make learning fun!


Right now Liam is a mommy snuggler and baby brother kisser, but when she returns to work he is going to be so surprised with this activity board. It cost me $1.00 to make. I picked up the large cardboard which separates stacks of food items at Sam's Club for free. I picked up the foam leaves and golf tees at a garage sale, 50 cents each. I drew a tree and tinted white glue with food coloring to draw the grass and flowers and to outline the tree top and Jack-o-lantern.

Won't my little buddy be surprised to find himself seated on the Jack-o-lantern? I can hear him now when he discovers his very own dogs, Mack and Riley, hiding among the flowers.

The preschool teacher in me comes out at the beginning of a new school year, and I must create.
I will teach him beginning letter sound, matching letters, alphabet recognition, concepts big/bigger/biggest; above, below, and other pre-K concepts.

You can make an activity board at little or no cost. The only problem I encountered was the golf tees are so long they bump the wall. I solved the problem by hot gluing a foam block to each top corner. Now it leans against the wall perfectly.

The other side will be decorated with a large Christmas tree and he will be able to hang A-B-C ornaments in December.

There's a song that goes along with this fall theme:

Leaves, leaves, yellow and brown (flutter fingers above head)
Leaves are falling down to the ground (touch floor/ground)
Leaves leave yellow and red
One leaf landed right on MY HEAD! (Child shouts it)

So, who is going to Sam's, Costco, or another big box store to pick up a piece of cardboard?


7 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

He is going to love that - you are such a wonderful grandma.

Susan Sundwall said...

No wonder kids love you! What fun. I use inexpensive materials for my kid projects, too. All they care about is creating. Take some pics of Liam when he's loving this. K?

Debra Mayhew said...

I LOVE this! Thanks for letting me know about it. I think of you so often as I look for different preschool and kindergarten activities. I remember being so impressed with all the fun things you did for your class. It's nice to know you're still creating and teaching and having fun with sweet Liam.

Sioux Roslawski said...

Linda--Please don't let my granddaughter know what fun things you're creating for Liam. Riley might feel like she got the short end of the stick when she was little. ;)

Val said...

It's like you are the proprietor of an Amusement Park of Learning!

Pat Wahler said...

Cute idea! I'll file it away for when Henry is a little older.

Pat
www.patwahler.com

UplayOnline said...

you are such a wonderful grandma.


เย็ดสาว