Friday, September 15, 2017

Tongues were wagging

Four dynamic motivational speakers!

                               Gianna Jacobson, Kim Lozano, Kelli Allen, Linda O'Connell

I participated in a panel discussion with these writers, editors, and professors on the topic of why or why not to submit to literary magazines and university journals. The St. Louis Publisher's Association meeting room was filled. My critique group members, who were supposed to be at our own meeting, walked in and surprised me. I am proud to be a member of the Wild Women Wielding Pens critique group. Sioux, Lynn, Kim, and Laura are the most supportive friends.

Gracious hostess, Peggy Nehman introduced us. Since we were presenting in alphabetical order, I knew I would be speaking last. I was concerned that the others would cover most everything on the topic of literary magazines, so I talked about my personal journey and mild success with lit mags. I explained that I do not have a Masters in Fine Arts. I consider my MFA and acronym for Mighty Fine Attitude. I admitted I have been a successful freelance writer because I chose to take a chance.

You are not too old.
It is never too late.
Take a chance.

Those were my key points as I admitted my vulnerabilities and shared some of the mistakes I have made along the way.

I benefited from this event as well. I learned from my fellow panelists, and I received positive feedback after the meeting. I also received private messages, emails, and gained a few blog followers. You never know where life will take you, what connections you will make and  what a difference you can make in another person's life. A word of encouragement can have a long reach and inspire others.


"The panel was knock-your-socks-off terrific. They were four of the most prepared, intelligent, creative women I have met in a long time. The program was well worth attending, just to hear them speak." Bobbi Linkemer.

7 comments:

Dianna Graveman said...

Wish I could have been there! Bet it was fun and informative.

Pat Wahler said...

Sounds like a nice event. Sorry to have missed it.

Pat
www.patwahler.com

Val said...

So true about the connections waiting to be made. You never know.

Sioux Roslawski said...

Linda--Are you SURE that "A" stands for attitude? ;)

You were a welcome breath of fresh air. The other women gave some specifics about the journals. You were encouraging and challenging (as far as getting us to challenge our inner critics) and inspiring.

Catherine Rankovic said...

Pleased to have been there with you!

Susan Sundwall said...

Your second to last paragraph says it all. Bravo! And - I got my MFA just like you - taking a chance and hanging in there. Keep on keeping on.

UplayOnline said...

Sorry to have missed it.


เย็ดสาว