Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Down by the Sea



Having vacationed in the Caribbean, my heart still pounds to the rhythm of the sea. I shopped at the little open air markets where natives sold handcrafts and trinkets. I bought several necklaces which made me happy. We snorkeled along a barrier reef and saw the most amazing colorful tropical fish in shades of cobalt blue and yellow. Bill pointed to a giant sting ray, then we drifted off in different directions. I floated atop the surface of the sea, gazing into the crystal clear depths. I spied a white conch shell the size of a large couch cushion. I thought it was a big boulder thirty feet down, but when it extended a claw out and began to drag itself along the bottom, I believe I inhaled saltwater as I yelled for Bill to come see. Alas, he was too far away and heading back to a hammock.

Usually people bring home souvenirs and photos from vacation. My treasure this trip was an intangible souvenir, that giant conch leaving a trail on the bottom of the sea and an image ingrained in my mind. If only I had a photo to prove it; nobody believes me!

8 comments:

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Oooh....*sigh* You just described our last cruise vacation, sans the conch. Now you have me yearning to return. The Caribbean is spectacular, the sand like silk, the ocean clear and blue. Add Johnny Depp and you have heaven.

Lynn said...

Sounds like a wonderful vacation - and I believe you!

Tammy said...

Thanks for passing along that image via your writing. You have won the "Circle of Friends" award at my blog: http://messageinabloggletheartofbeingbroken.blogspot.com/

BECKY said...

I'm quite envious of your fabulous vacation....maybe some other year for me...
And, I've really got to stop speed reading some of these blogs....I thought I read, "....where natives sold handcuffs and trinkets."
You wild woman, you! :D

Pat Wahler said...

The ocean is truly a beautiful and mysterious place. It calms me, but scares me just a little, too!

Pat
www.critteralley.blogspot.com

Terri Tiffany said...

Oh Linda--you make me wish I could take a trip today!

Chatty Crone said...

A little piece of Heaven on earth.

sandie

Linda O'Connell said...

Hi everyone, Thanks for stopping by. I may be landlocked here int he midwest, but the ocean tugs at my soul with the same intensity that the moon pulls the tide.
And Becky, you made me laugh!