Friday, July 8, 2011

I'm cackling happy!

I want to toot my horn and beat my drum, but that would be a bit premature. It took me a long time to understand that. Chicken Soup sent me a (you made it to the final round) contract on a story for the Food and Love book. Chicken Soup has sent me sixteen preliminary contracts in the past, and I have twelve stories published in twelve different books. What does this indicate? My writing makes the cut, but, the final decision lies with the publisher. Even though this is hand-clapping, fist-pumping news for me, I know that thirty days before the November release, they will do their final cuts for book layout. Sometimes they've eliminated my stories.

Does this stop me from submitting? No way! It makes me more determined. I know that my work has as good a shot as the next person, and my track record speaks to that. So, here I sit (and have been sitting for way too long) keeping my fingers, ankles, and eyes crossed, in hopes that this story makes it into the book.

I dared to be different with this particular topic. I figured my story wouldn't have a chance because most people would submit stories about lovers and chocolate.

I wrote about a bad boy I loved and ran into thirty years after I had gotten his taste out of my mouth. When I discovered him in the deli, I tried to ignore him, but he enticed me again ... and I ate every bit of that apple-walnut cake. I went on to tell about an incident involving one of those cakes.

Do you see what I mean about writing out of the box, slightly off topic, tongue in cheek, sassy, with a vein of humor?

Now it is your turn. Chicken Soup has several call outs. Go to their menu and select Submit a Story to see the drop down menu.

Family Caregiver deadline 7/30. Get right on it if you aren't too busy BEING a caregiver.

Boost Your Brain Power 8/7. Let me know if you have a real solution to this one.

Say Good-bye to Stress 8/7. These deadlines induce stress.

Say Hello to a Better Body over Fifty 8/7. (Shock me, gals.)

Home Sweet Home 8/30.

13 comments:

Lynn said...

Congratulations you Queen Chick! I'm going to be sending in two, thanks to you and your help that you so generously gave... I don't call you Queen Chick for nothing! I can't wait to read your Food and Love story. I had started something, but missed the deadline on that one. Thanks for the head's up on the other ones.

Kim Lehnhoff said...

Congratulations! Keep plugging, keep thinking out of the box!

jabblog said...

Congratulations! What a thrill to be selected:-)

Sioux Roslawski said...

Congratulations. I will keep my fingers crossed.

I submitted something so I guess no news is NOT good news. Oh well...at least I'm submitting.

I look forward to reading your story. The bit of the "teaser" you tossed to us has me intrigued.

Bookie said...

Good for you, Linda...hope this one goes on through too...thanks for sharing the call outs...right now I can't do a thing...but glad to know they are out there!

BECKY said...

Congrats, Linda. Hope you make it to the finals! I'm working on one right now for the book about Back Pain! I'm sorry to say I know a lot about that subject! :)

Claudia Moser said...

Well done, and wow Chicken Soup! :)

Southhamsdarling said...

Congratulations to you Linda! Keeping everything crossed that they don't cut anything this time. Have a lovely weekend.

Beth M. Wood said...

Awesome Linda - congrats! And yes, you DO have every bit as good a chance as the next guy/gal...better even!
p.s. you have inspired me - I'm working on that novel I've always dreamed of writing ; )
p.p.s. I'm turning 39 next Sunday and feeling a bit reflective. Check my blog ; )

Val said...

Congratulations, and thanks for sharing! With your track record, I would definitely bet on you if you were a racehorse. And also if you were a racecar, which would be even cooler, because then you'd be a palindrome.

Unknown said...

Congratulation and keep on keeping on girl. We are proud of you.

Tammy said...

Way to go! I rationalize that the final cut usually is an issue of space. And sounds like thinking outside the box is a piece of (apple-walnut) cake for you....

Katie Gates said...

Congratulations on the contract. Your story sounds quite unusual, and for that reason (among others), it should make the cut!