Saturday, July 9, 2011

Unexpected surprise!


Read it and cheep! This 12"x18" basket is twelve inches deep and filled with pages and pages of my typed Chicken Soup for the Soul stories. Makes this sign so appropriate.
My friend, Lynn,sent me this plaque along with a hand written letter. Her penmanship is beautiful, and her taste impeccable. Having just received a contract from Chicken Soup, I had to laugh out loud when I unwrapped this cute plaque.

I am sad that in America our education system doesn't think it's important to be able to write in cursive, learn geography, essay writing ...oh don't get me going! It is letters such as Lynn's that make a person smile (she cracked me up), touch someone's heart, make you realize that practicing all those loops and lines and connecting letters we had to do in third grade was worth it.

I had coffee with Julia yesterday, and it is amazing how even though we see one another socially once or twice a year, we have a strong connection that goes beyond blogging.

I am heading out of state soon, passing through the town of two brilliant blog writing buddies whom I have never met, but feel a strong bond and kinship with. We are anxiously counting the days until we can laugh together in person.

Life has a way of dusting happiness on you when you least expect it. This plaque is one of those gifts I shall treasure, always. By the way, if you enjoy cooking, Lynn has three blogs! You should see her cupcakes... yes really, cupcakes.

17 comments:

Southhamsdarling said...

Linda, that is such a gorgeous plaque, and so very appropriate for you! How wonderful that you are going to be meeting some blogging friends for the first time. How exciting! Don't forget to come back and tell us all about it.

Claudia Moser said...

Lovely thought!

Pat Wahler said...

Congrats on the new CS contract. That's wonderful!

Pat
www.critteralley.blogspot.com

Kim Lehnhoff said...

Great plaque! As a lefty, handwriting was never my best class. But over the years, I've developed my own cursive writing, more suited to my southpaw self - it won't get an 'A' from Mrs. Plant, but it works for me!

Have fun meeting your online pals!

Debora said...

What a perfect gift for you! Here's another peeve to add to your list...telling time! Dang those digital clocks!

BECKY said...

That Lynn IS so thoughtful, isn't she? And she sends the cutest homemade cards. The only thing that confused me here is that you said "hard copies" of the Chicken Soup books. They're all in paperback, correct? My brain thought of hard cover books. Have a great trip!

Bookie said...

Is this a summer vacation? Going east to ocean you love maybe? Have a good time!

Unknown said...

Congratulation Linda & I hope you have a wonderful time meeting your blog friends.

Susan said...

Oh, Linda, that was super. Plus, you are so blessed to look forward to meeting blog buddies. Oh, I'd LOVE to mee some of the people I have come to know and love. Life can be so great, can't it?

Hope your trip is super and that you bring your camera with you wherever you go. You need to share with us all you see! Susan

Karen Lange said...

Chocolate is always just the thing! Have a wonderful time on your trip! :)

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Lynn really got it right, didn't she? GREAT plaque, and so appropriate for you!

Can't wait to see you next week. Eeeek! So excited and counting down the days. I'll give you a call tomorrow to hammer out the details. And I have to say it: See you soon! :)

Sioux Roslawski said...

I am so jealous. Buy Lisa something chocolate to eat or drink...And put it on my tab.

Tammy said...

What a clever and beautiful gift! And have fun on your trip!

Julia Gordon-Bramer said...

I feel the same, Linda! We are kind of the same person, doing different things in our different corners! Love to you!

Lynn said...

Oh Linda, that was so sweet of you to say such nice things about me. Makes me blush! I just came across some old writing from who knows when, when they wrote calligraphy style--Oh I'd love to write that way! I have a fountain pen, but it doesn't come out like the olden day writing. And give Lisa a big hug from me... I'm jealous too. Have fun!

Jennifer Brown Banks said...

Linda,

I love the basket and love that you'll be serving up more "chicken soup!" I'd love to get a guest post on your recipe for success. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
I arrived via Sylvia Morice's blog. I love a handwritten letter as well, and try to send as many as I possibly can. Congrats on Chicken Soup.
Michele