Monday, January 23, 2012

Perception deception

Did you ever look at something and think it was something else? One of the best laughs my mom and I had was when I was driving and she shouted, "Watch out for that little Chinese woman with that pointy hat crossing the street."

As we approached, she realized it was a fire hydrant. Mom got glasses shortly thereafter. But it sure was a belly laugh that could be retriggered years later with just a mention of the little lady in a Chinese hat.

Last night I was watching Dateline, a true story about a young man accused of murdering his wife. Hubby came to bed at the end of the espisode as they were giving a synopsis. He was involved in the plot and expressed his opinion. The next show was a crime drama about a woman getting shot. There was an autopsy scene in which the victim had big stitches across her shoulder/chest. We both "ewwed" at the sight, then a commercial came on.

Commercials these days last three minutes easily -enough time for an old buzzard and his cackling hen to drift off to sleep. During the wee hours we awoke to that loud TV blaring. Bill picked up right where the show left off.

"Oh man! What happened to her now? They sure are slicing her up."

It was an infomercial actor sectioning a wide sheet of dough with a kitchen gadget wheel to make fluted edged ravioli pockets. I laughed myself into snorts, wide awake.

Hubby's sense of humor is a bit different than mine. How DOES a man roll over and go right back to sleep? I snickered for half an hour.

12 comments:

BECKY said...

OMG, Linda! Some of my wildest laughing fits and snorts happen like that...especially if I'm over-tired, too! I can just see you!

Bookie said...

You guys must have a great time under your roof!Have a good Monday!

Southhamsdarling said...

Hi linda. I agree with Bookie, it must be wonderful to be able to have a laugh with your hubby like that. Loved the one about the little Chinese woman. LOL!!

Donna Volkenannt said...

How funny. Next time I look at a fire hydrant I'll most likely see a Chinese lady.
Donna

Anonymous said...

What great stories! I'm still giggling!

Claudia Moser said...

LOL :)

BB said...

Now that's funny! Isn't it amazing how fast we can fall asleep when watching TV? Loved the Chinese woman with the pointy hat story! Hysterical.

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Funny story, Linda! We have a few of those "remember when" stories in my family.

Sioux Roslawski said...

So, now we've added a new weapon to our arsenal, in case our husbands/boyfriends get out of line...a ravioli cutter, eh?

I think Bill can roll over and go back to sleep because men's attention spans last as long as their...well, you know.

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Once while in California I saw a cow on the sidewalk and commented to my husband about it. It turned out to be a sculpture outside a restaurant. He still teases me about thinking there was a live cow on a city street. LOL

Tammy said...

Thanks for sharing your snort-worthy story, Linda! I wonder if medical examiners are using cheese or tomato sauce in their autopsies these days...?

Val said...

Well, there was that sewer vent splattered with mud that I mistook for a Ming vase...but I have an excuse. I was driving at the time. So I couldn't get a good look as I went by.