Tuesday, January 31, 2012

After the rain comes

My daughter and I shared a memory that had us both laughing. She lived in a rural area when her children were small. Rain water ran through an open gully down a steep hill behind her home and into the cul de sac past three other houses.

One spring day after a thunderstorm, her neighbor, a man in his forties, who enjoyed his brewsky was outside persuing the grounds with a can of beer in hand. She watched as he hot-footed three feet into the air dousing himself with beer. He peered down into the gully and ran to the side of his house for a rake. He proceeded to clobber the rain water.

Had he lost/found someting? Was he trying to retrieve it? Kill a snake? Rescue a drowning animal?

My daughter walked down to the end of the road to meet her son at the school bus,and the guy let her have it.

"Keep your kids' stuff in your own back yard. I nearly had a heart attack when that three foot rubber alligator came floating past my house. For a minute there I thought I'd drank a few too many."

When Ashley was seven we took her to Florida, and the only thing she wanted with her spending money was this very realistic looking rubber alligator. I'd say we got our money's worth, wouldn't you?

13 comments:

Bookie said...

This is so funny! I can picture the man's shock and fear....

Chatty Crone said...

That was a GREAT story. What a funny 'tail', sandie

SparkleFarkel said...

After reading your oh-so-entertaining reptilian tale, I think an annual Gator Day should be declared a legal holiday, so we can all join in the fun! Let's get the party started! LOOKY-LOOKY!I've baked the perfect cake!

Susan said...

ha ha ha ha ha That was a funny story, Linda. I can just see that man's face when that alligator came swimming by.

My kids used to put rubber snakes on our back patio when we lived in the southwest. Got me every time. SCREAMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Susan

Claudia Moser said...

True true

Lynn said...

Too funny.

Sioux Roslawski said...

Apparently he HAD drunk a little too much...

Karen Lange said...

Oh my yes! Too funny! :)

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Bwa-hahaha!!!

My kids got me but good a number of years ago with a rubber roach. Ugh! They put it under the dirty clothes at the bottom of the hamper, so when I pulled out the last few things there it was. I screamed full force and jumped back a foot. Wasn't too thrilled to hear my daughter's voice pipe up with laughter, "It worked, Daddy! We got her!" LOL I laughed after the fact, but I've been wary of the bottom of the hamper every since.

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

LOL! Great story, Linda.

Val said...

He may have seen the snake-whacking episode of The Simpsons, and declared himself a gator-whacking holiday.

Debora said...

I think they should invest in some rubber pythons, sharks and more alligators. Save them for a rainy day!

jabblog said...

That is hilarious!