Friday, January 13, 2012

Many people suffer from it. Are you one?

Paraskevidekatriaphobics can be crippling, but thankfully, it lasts only twenty-four hours. Perhaps you have a touch of it or know someone who suffers from this malady. No it's not that awful tummy flu going around.

According to Dr. Don Dossey, psychotherapist, as many as 21 million people are afflicted with a morbid, irrational fear of Friday, the thirteenth.

This year there will be three Fridays the 13th, January, April and July...and they are exactly thirteen weeks apart. Interesting.

My dad was superstitious, and my mom always chastised him. When I was a kid I
couldn't figure out who to believe.

"Don't walk under that ladder!"
"Don't be silly; you can walk under a ladder."

The way I saw it, the only thing that could hurt me by walking under a ladder was the bucket of paint on the platform up top, so I avoided walking under ladders that had objects positioned on them. However, I tempted fate just to test my parents' theories. And you know what? Bad things happened regardless of which path I took, around or under that ladder.

Now, Friday the 13th is another story. Thirteen has always been my lucky number. When I was younger, working paycheck to paycheck, I'd often find $13 unexpectedly in my purse, or I'd win a scratch off lottery ticket. I never bought into that Friday the 13th superstition, or maybe I did, in reverse. I always believed I'd get lucky, or maybe I should rephrase that, BE lucky on this day.

I can hardly wait to see what wonderful things await me today. I will post them here at the end of the day.

How about YOU? Are you staying under the covers? Indoors? Avoiding people places, black felines and ladders? Care to share any other superstitions you are afflicted with?

Well fiddlesticks! Blogger is misbehaving again, can't post on some blogs and some people are saying the same about my blog. It locks up.
Do they do this indiscriminately? I refuse to think I am the only victim. Not bad luck, just a lurch:)


Lucky day! My boss surprised everyone with pizza and salad for lunch.

No comments: