Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Corn left on the cob

We are driving past a cornfield. It triggered a repressed memory. My former husband and I were in our teens. We were going camping and had a cooler filled with food. I asked him to stop so I could pick two ears of corn from a farmer's field. That evening I cooked dinner. I boiled that corn and buttered it. But, we couldn't eat it.Those kernels were so tough we couldn't sink our teeth in.

We later learned that farmers plant the first three rows of "feed" corn for horse and cattle. Let me tell you horse corn is strictly for horses.

9 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

My sister's mother-in-law used to send her kids down to the neighbor's corn field to liberate some ears for supper. Strict instructions to get into that field and leave the feed corn alone.

Connie said...

Haha! Yep. I've also heard it called field corn.

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Oh, no! LOL Disappointment. Nothing worse than being excited for a taste and having it turn out upside down.

Sioux Roslawski said...

I don't think the farmer planted the first three rows for the livestock. I think he planted it for the possible corn thieves. ;)

Funny story, as usual, Linda.

Susan said...

ha ha hahahaha That horse corn must have been pretty touch on your teeth, Linda.

Had you galloping past that field on the way back? ha ha ha Susan

Karen Lange said...

Oh yes, I remember field corn - my grandparents lived in PA and my grandpa could tell me which was which. Or at least, that's what he said, I wouldn't have known the difference!

Val said...

It was karma. Picking doesn't pay.

Debora said...

Yup! Way back in the day, my dad would drive out into the country and tell me to run get some corn. It was almost always field corn. Don't judge me, OK? Dad had a strange sense of humor and he somehow thought this was a hoot.

Southhamsdarling said...

So funny! I can imagine that you were pretty disappointed that it wasn't fit to eat!!