Friday, December 6, 2013

Holiday decorations

 
This massive, beautifully decorated pine tree was breathtaking.
 
 The gas lights draped with holiday swags were gorgeous, and spoke to me of days long gone.
 
 
The life sized dioramas took me back to the days when my children were young. It was a family tradition to load up the kids and their grandma, and go downtown on Thanksgiving night to view the Famous and Barr (Macy's) animated window displays and Lionel train scenes. F and B took up an entire square block area, and the kids were so excited running from one window display to the next.


Every time I passed by the kid flat on his back I had to stifle a happy little laugh-chirp.
 
 The animated characters were not at the Peabody Hotel, but in a neighboring town.

This stack of giant ornaments also made me giggle. I asked someone to take our photo in front of them. It truly is the little things in life that make me happy. Yes, we ate a bit too much, but we also enjoyed a new experience, sang along with Fats Domino to old blues songs as we drove for four hours. We enjoyed the scenery, and I have a few more great pictures to share with you. Come back.
WHICH is your favorite diorama photo?

13 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Linda--My favorite photo is the last one. You and that jolly old fellow, the guy named Sa--I mean, Bill--is a great one.

I'm glad you two had such a wonderful time. I too remember going downtown to look at the windows. It was something I looked forward to every year.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Having trouble getting into the holiday spirit here. No kids coming, so no tree up. Maybe some snow will get me going?

Bookie said...

Such nice picture of you and Bill..a great reminder of your trip exploring...loved the decorations you showed!

Unknown said...

Great photos, Linda. Really love the one of you and Hubby!

Connie said...

These are great! The one with the kid who fell down is my favorite. Made me smile too.

Susan said...

Splendorous decorations, Linda. What fun you must have had!

Is that your hubs? He sure is tall. (Or are you short?) ha!

That tree was incredible. Fun fun fun Thanks so much for sharing. Susan

Merlesworld said...

I like them all.
They bring back memories of my childhood we always went in to Sydney with Mum to see the Christmas displays in the big shops, all the big department stores were all in the city then now they are everywhere and they all have decorations but not the big window displays they once had.
Merle........

Merlesworld said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Val said...

I, too, like the picture of you and Bill in front of those big ba--ornaments.

River said...

I like all the photos. We used to bring the kids to town to see the John Martins display windows, the best Christmas windows in Adelaide, some animated, some not, but a row of four or five enormous windows, with people lined up in crowds to see them. Sadly, the store closed in the mid 90s and no other store has done such displays since.

Tammy said...

I too love the last one, but at first I thought the kid in the snow was an accident of the unintentional variety!

BECKY said...

What a fun get-away, Linda! And I so remember looking at the window displays in downtown St. Louis when I was a little girl. Ahhh, sweet memories!

Unknown said...

Where did you see the animated displays?