Saturday, December 7, 2013

The end to a wonderful trip

This is a view approaching the Memphis, Tennessee riverfront, pedestrian bridge overhead.

The mighty Mississippi River ~ five hours north to St. Louis, MO. Five hours south to the Gulf of Mexico. I tell you, I wanted to keep driving south and sink my toes in the sand, but my 6'1" voice of reality whispered in my ear, "Honey, it's winter in the Panhandle, too."

The great American Pyramid built as a concert venue in 1991 now being converted to Bass Pro
Shop,  a hunter/fisherman's/sports enthusiasts paradise.

This is a view in passing of St. Jude's hospital. To the right is the research wing. My heart aches
at the thought of children suffering, but I am thrilled that Danny Thomas founded this haven, and
I am grateful for those who donate to the worthy research cause.

Along the highway travelling home there was evidence everywhere of the earth going into resting mode. Every now and then we spied a bush/tree with the reddest berries I have ever seen. It was not a holly bush, and several of them were tree-top high. Reminded me of the earth sprouting one last strong opinion, before a long winter's nap. Does anyone know what these are?

The sunset was spectacular. Elongated shadows draped hillsides like a shawl lazily cast upon cattle as they grazed in fields at dusk. I said a prayer of thanks for my eyes and the beauty of our trip, our lives, our families our health and our friends. That concluded our Thanksgiving trip, different from any other, a first for us.
 

11 comments:

Bookie said...

Bass Pro, really! When we went the first time, the Memphis Belle was at home...then it went to Dayton, Ohio air base for refurbishing, where we saw it again there under work. Did you happen to notice if it were home again yet?

This sounded like a lovely trip for you, Linda...I hope it was the tonic it looks to be!!! esp. before you came home to this cold!
This is January weather, NOT early December and holiday planning time.

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

What a great trip! Thanks for the pic of St. Jude's. It's my favorite charity!

Merlesworld said...

Big river, pyramid and sunsets what more do you need on a trip.
Merle..............

Val said...

The "Big Muddy" doesn't look so muddy in your picture. You certainly take flattering photos.

Connie said...

Lovely pictures, Linda. Looks like you had a great trip.

"Elongated shadows draped hillsides like a shawl" I love that description. You have a wonderful way with words.

Anonymous said...

Linda--Maybe you have started a new tradition for you and Bill. You can always feast with your family a week later...

Mary Horner said...

Thanks for sharing your trip photos, sounds like you had a great time!

River said...

I love that sunset!
And the view across the mighty Mississippi is lovely.

Tammy said...

Beautiful pictures...but Bass Pro? At the very least, they should put an art museum inside it. Sort of like an inside-out Louvre.

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

America has many beautiful areas. I'd love to take an extended road trip and meander around the countryside. Ah, one can dream.

BECKY said...

Thanks for sharing photos from your trip, Linda! Sure gives me that wanderlust feeling..... :)