Friday, December 20, 2013

Nature's beauties

We went to the Botanical Garden Glow this week. Later this weekend, I will post photos of the gorgeous holiday lights and the interior of the Henry Shaw mansion.
 
 
Early settlers decorated with an abundance of natural materials. These days people rush to the big box stores to buy cheaply made expensive wreaths. Such craftsmanship displayed here makes me sigh. 
 
These gorgeous nature wreaths were on display at Missouri Botanical Gardens. 
Click on the photos to view close up.
                                         
                                                                    feathers and fronds

                                                                  birch tree frame
                                                                           silver
                                                               
                                                    grapevine, pine cones and burlap ribbon
                                                                            Bark
                                                                         tumbleweeds
                                                    
                                                             Which is your favorite?

16 comments:

BECKY said...

They're all beautiful, but my favorite is the one that looks like a window....so unique and includes a cute owl! :)

Anonymous said...

All of them looks beautiful. I love all...

Bookie said...

Gorgeous and creative wreaths...I think my favorite is grapevine. Happy weekend to you.

Southhamsdarling said...

I think the silver and the tumbleweeds!

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

I like the Birch Tree Frame and the Silver. :)

Connie said...

The Birch Tree Frame is my favorite, but they are all beautiful.

Val said...

I like that red one, because it's so different. My cousin owns a Christmas tree farm, and his wife makes some beautiful wreaths from the Scotch Pine trimmings.

Anonymous said...

Love the square one-so different and creative

Sioux Roslawski said...

I like the bark one the best. The colors are so subtle...

River said...

I like the Birch Frame best and the Feathers and Fronds too. The Bark looks like something I could make, there is certainly lots of bark falling off trees around here.

Mary Horner said...

I like #4. I wrote an essay about making a natural bouquet with leaves and pine cones, etc., that I used to decorate my house for Thanksgiving, and people kept telling me my flowers were dead and my natural arrangement ended up in the trash more than once! Ouch! Did I mention that I am NOT crafty?

Pat Wahler said...

It's hard to choose but I think the pine cone burlap one is my favorite. Each one is lovely in its own way.

Pat
Critter Alley

Tammy said...

I so desperately wanted to go to that, but I couldn't get the online ticket site to work. Beautiful wreaths, though! I think I have to vote for the birch window, too.

Kim Lehnhoff said...

I like the birch tree frame and the tumbleweeds best. I think I'd be more likely to hang the tumbleweeds one - I like the simplicity, though I'm sure if I had to make it, it would be far more complicated than it appears at first glance.

Lynn said...

Each one is beautiful. I think I like the bark one, then the window one, then the tumble weed or the feathers... who can pick?

Donna Volkenannt said...

Hi Linda,

Great photos.

My favorites are the Silver and Grapevines.