Thursday, April 5, 2012

Tour the riverfront with me?


On a warm afternoon this past weekend we drove to the St. Louis riverfront where the Gateway Arch towers more than 600 feet. I took my first grandchild to the top many years ago and I can still hear her squealing as she looked down from the observation window, "Wow! Look at all those wind up cars and the ant-size people." It is quite an experience. I watched the Arch being built from my high school window, and when the workers went to put the last section in place...it didn't fit. The Museum of Westward Expansion, inside the Arch, is a wonderful, free museum with incredible exhibits.

Imagine Lewis and Clark making their way to the St. Louis riverfront. This bronze statue of them was commissioned by a friend of a friend. When the river floods, this goes underwater.
Tourists and locals enjoy taking a horse drawn carriage ride along the riverfront and also on the cobblestone streets along the Landing, which features restaurants and bars with live music.
On Saturdays, there are bridal parties galore riding in the Cinderella carriage and having wedding photos taken under the Arch.
The Huck Finn and Becky Thatcher are twin replicas of paddlewheelers that take visitors up and down river for an historic overview of the muddy Mississippi and St. Louis wharf.
You wouldn't get me up in a helicopter, but many tourists line up for aerial views of the city. On the fourth of July, the Arch grounds are packed with people, elbow to elbow, sprawled on their own section of grass to hear big name bands and performers (for free) before the gigantic fireworks display. One of the most memorable for me was Bill Cosby. He was hysterically funny. The Beach Boys, and many other well known groups have performed under the Arch. If you ever get to St. Louis be sure to visit the tourist attractions; many are free, paid for by our taxes.

19 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

I've been to St. Louis three times, all memorable. I was there when I was eight and a grasshopper bit me. That was really memorable; I still have the scar.

Susan said...

Oh Linda! Thanks for the terrific tour. I saw the arch once and went to the top, too. (I was brave then). We were in the little enclosed compartments. I thought it was so cool. Susan

Anonymous said...

Well, that was delightful, Linda! Thanks for the free tour--;-)

Sioux Roslawski said...

The photo of the Arch is a fantastic picture. So you write AND take photographs? Yikes.

BECKY said...

I don't remember that final piece not fitting! I can see the photos in the newspaper, but sure don't remember there being a problem. I would fly in a helicopter ANY day, than ride in that tiny, claustrophbic, tilting, sideways elevator!! And then LEAN on window sills to look out?? OMG. NO WAY!
Cool pictures, though, Linda! :)
I think St. Louis' best Free attraction is our fabulous ZOO!

Mary Horner said...

Those are great pictures! Thanks for sharing -- made me want to go there and walk around like a tourist!

Claudia Moser said...

Very nice pictures, thank you!

Southhamsdarling said...

Thank you for sharing these lovely photos with us. It does look like a great place for a visit. Living over here in England as I do, it's really interesting to see and read about all these lovely places in your country.

Donna Volkenannt said...

Lovely photos, Linda. Thanks for posting them. The arch is such a beautiful symbol and site to represent St. Louis.
Donna

Val said...

Don't forget the museum under the Arch!

Bookie said...

I was amazed to see the trees be so big around the Arch. When we lived there, it had only flowers and tiny shoots of trees as I remember. Went up in the Arch many times with all the visiting folks from home!

Tammy said...

Beautiful pictures, Linda, and I had no idea about that last piece not fitting! What did they do? Rebuild it, I guess? Thanks for showing off our fair city. I'm a St. Louis transplant, but I adore it.

Janet, said...

We don't travel much, so that was fun! I love the statue, riverboat and carriages. I've always wanted to go up in a helicopter and see the world as a bird sees it.

Gerry Mandel said...

Thanks for stirring up a memory, Linda. My roots with the Arch go back to its construction. The girl I was dating worked at Channel 4 with me, at 12th and Cole. We would frequently have lunch together with the code words "Bones in the River." We'd drive over to East St. Louis in my '60 Corvette, buy some bbq ribs to go at a joint called Nichols, then come back and sit on the riverbank underneath the partially completed Arch. The cranes were halfway up. We'd eat the bbq, then toss the bones into the Mississippi, with a wish. That girl became my wife and that was 47 years ago. Amazingly we're still married.

Gerry Mandel said...

By the way, Linda, who's your friend that commissioned the Lewis and Clark sculpture? I did a documentary about it, and the sculptor Harry Weber, and thought there were several people involved.

BECKY said...

Oh, Gerry, that is a wonderful story!! How romantic!!

jabblog said...

I enjoyed my tour with you. St Louis looks a fantastic place to visit:-)

Karen Lange said...

I may just have to come and visit! :)

Chatty Crone said...

I have been to St. Louis once - it was pretty and HOT! sandie