Friday, April 20, 2012

Today's lessons: lighten up and laugh

Sometimes you just have to dispense with the prim and proper and be crazy. After a week of beautiful, warm weather, it got cold and dreary. I wasn't going to let it get me down. I turned on music and picked up each of my morning class students, waltzed with them and spun them as they came in. You should have heard the giggles. The rain kept us indoors in the afternoon.
Usually I allow the children free play in the playroom which has one of those square plastic slides/climber and other toys. We had high absenteeism this afternoon, and we finished our work early, so I chased the three boys in the playroom. I tried to "get" their legs and shoes by reaching into the slide/climber as they laughed boisterously and dodged my grasp. One of them tried to ward me off with his foot, and another took it a step further. He removed his shoe and waved at me to fend me off. I pretended I was overcome with stinky feet, staggered backwards and held my nose and coughed...and you should have heard those little boys belly laugh. Sometimes, you just have to let loose. Laughter is good for the soul.

You can bet I was laughing and rejoicing the other day when I received an acceptance on a poem I wrote for Mother's Day. It will be published in Parent:Wise. It is what I refer to as a mirror poem, but possibly there is another name for this type. Each line in the first stanza is reflected in the second. I will share it after it goes to print.

Have a great weekend. This evening I am attending the Missouri Writer's Guild Conference banquet. I look forward to meeting old friends and making new ones.

8 comments:

Southhamsdarling said...

Great post - I bet your little children love you to bits. Isn't it wonderful to have real belly laughs like that. Laughter certainly is the best medicine!

Bookie said...

A happy post...great news on the poem! Yep, cold here too. Had just carried out all the flowers to deck day before; had to carry them all back in!Then I came in a found Blogger had changed. Hum. I needed your laughing, but...

Sioux Roslawski said...

I know you will have a blast tonight. Enjoy the networking, the laughing, the chatting...

And by the way, laughter from third graders is pretty good, too. We sing and dance to oldies and new stuff (everything from Louie Prima to Gnarls Barkley) to "transition" between classes. If kids aren't really getting into it, I stand behind them or next to them and move their arms around with mine. Since I am not a talented nor a coordinated dancer in any way, it's hilarious.

Laughter is critical...it can recussitate the spirit.

Congratulations on the acceptance of the poem. Since you shared it with your WWWPs, I can attest to this: followers--it will be worth your wait. It's quite a touching poem.

Anonymous said...

It's so fun to hear them giggle! Silliness is a good thing.

Susan said...

Hi Linda...Yes, it IS good to laugh. We all sure need it once in awhile. (Like every day). Hope you have a terrific time at the banquet and tell us all about it. Susan

Pat Wahler said...

Sounds like a fun day despite the rain. Enjoy the MWG Conference!

Pat
Critter Alley

Lynn said...

You're so fun. Those kids are lucky. Congrats on your poem.

Chatty Crone said...

LAUGHTER HEALS THE SOUL TOO! sandie