Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Prom

Prom season is upon us. I heard a statistic that most people will spend $1,000 on prom. Those in the Northeast will spend almost double the amount. Those in the Midwest, will spend on average $750. Wow! Inflation and different expectations and types of celebrations have brought changes since my daughter's prom.

She and I went dress shopping. It was a nightmare. If I liked a dress, she didn't. Finally, I stopped expressing an opinion, and then she pulled the guilt card. "Why won't you help me? You don't even care!"

At that point, after hiking three malls and several bridal stores for the perfect gown; after devouring too much Sbarro pizza and Pepsi, and with blisters on my feet, I didn't care!

But the night of prom, when I saw my baby in that beautiful formal, with her hair done up, looking like a princess, it was all worth it. As her mom, I was so proud, but my mother who was obssessed with her grandchildren, couldn't get enough touch, pictures, hugs and kisses.

When my daughter and her best friend and their dates left for the evening, my mom who was more curious than an investigative reporter, insisted we go for a ride. She enticed, "I'll buy us an ice cream." I knew she was interested in more than ice cream. "Drive me past the reception hall where the prom is going to be."

We drove past, and she craned her neck to see the couples going inside. "Pull over, let's park in that lot across the street. I just want to see my girl go through the door."

So on a spring evening in the 1980s, my mother and I hunkered down in the car like two private eyes so she could get one more look at her girl. I thought she was going to bolt from the car when her girl arrived half an hour later. I had to roll the windows so she wouldn't shout and wave.

A generation later, my baby's baby was attending her prom.

Time goes on and prices go up and life goes by...in a flash it seems.

13 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Sounds like a CS on Parenting story...

jabblog said...

Proms have only recently arrived in UK and both my teenage granddaughters had lovely prom dresses. I suppose for some, sadly, it will be the only time they will be able to dress up for a special occasion.

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

$1,000??? I didn't even go to a prom much less spend that much. Now, if you're talking a wedding gown...

Susan said...

Awwww, Linda. Such sweet memories. Proms are special, that's for sure. Susan

Anonymous said...

Prom. I thought we were big spenders when my dress cost $75.
What a great story!

Val said...

My son is going to prom. We're only out a couple of hundred so far. I'm so glad he didn't need a dress. His date does not like corsages, so he's off the hook for that. But he DID have to buy her ticket. I hope she doesn't eat much.

Chatty Crone said...

Isn't it amazing how time flies and how it repeats itself? sandie

BECKY said...

I never went to a prom. No lie! No dates, either! :(

Karen Lange said...

It does seem like time goes by in a flash. My oldest son turned 30 in January, and that hardly seems possible. So are you going out for ice cream on your grandson's prom night? :P

Tammy said...

Loved your post, and then Karen's comment cracked me up. How sweet that your mother was so proud.

Lynn said...

That was sweet that you and your mother spied on your daughter. Ha. Boy, I was lucky with my youngest daughter who picked up her prom dress at a thrift store and only paid $10, but she didn't look like a thrift store date. :-)

Pat Wahler said...

Too funny! Did you ever let your daughter know about your subversive activities?

Terri Tiffany said...

Lovely memory:)) I know why so many of your stories are in print--you've got that way:)