Saturday, January 23, 2010

Write on!

Life's Little Instruction Book, by H.Jackson Brown,Jr. was written for his son who was heading off to college. He says he read somewhere that it is not a parent's responsibility to pave the road for a child, but to provide a road map. I agree.

It is the same for writers. Some of you are taking your first baby steps, while others are off and running. Those ahead create a path, a map if you will, for those who want to follow. Read, ask questions, attend lectures, learn all you can about the writing, submission and publication process. Although I have a long list of publications, sometimes it feels like I am still taking baby steps. You can't go forward if you don't take the steps.

If this quote doesn't send you right to the computer or for your pen and paper today, nothing will. "Don't say you don't have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michael Angelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein."

Lecture over. Write on!

2 comments:

Pat Wahler said...

I've been very lax, piddling with a couple of pieces, finishing nothing. Thanks for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

I've written something for 6 days straight (not always great, but SOMETHING), and I love it. I don't know what on earth my excuse for not writing was. I should have known to appeal to my competitive side and make writing a daily challenge...