Sunday, May 29, 2011

Make your own music!


My youngest granddaughter, Nicole, at the Magic House Children's Museum making music, plinking away on the bells.

Composing thoughts, words, music,
playing her own tune,
doing it her way.

This photo reminds me of the latest book I am finally getting around to reading, Eat, Pray, Love, by Elizabeth Gilbert. It is a proven fact that when little girls are young, they have wonderful hopes and dreams, and then as they mature and find a boyfriend, they trade their dreams for the collective dream and yield way too much and too often to their partner. I was talking to some women (mothers) the other day who all wondered where THEIR dreams had vanished, if they'd ever recapture them. In the name of compromise, women often lose themselves.

In my twenties I devoted myself to motherhood.

In my thirties I was dissatisfied, but I didn't know what I wanted; I only knew what I didn't want.

In my forties I knew what I wanted and pursued my dreams and happiness.

In my fifties I discovered a whammy load of self-confidence aka: I don't care what you think of me; this is who I AM.

Now, in my sixth decade of life, it is not through rose colored glasses I view life, not blindly I follow, no longer shading my eyes from the truth; it is as though I have progressive lenses through which I clearly see my past, present and future.

I have the correct balance of hindsight and foresight. Hindsight is illuminated, and I can see clearly all the muck and reasons why I waded through it way back then. I am as much to blame for my issues as any other person I might have blamed.

I enjoy and appreciate every moment of the present as the gift it is.

I know my future holds greatness, heartaches, hopes and more dreams ... collective dreams for all of our children and grandchildren who will deal with their own issues in all of the relationships of their lives. I do hope they can each march to their own drummer, toot their own horn, instead of allowing someone to play them like a fiddle.

Life is a symphony, be your own composer, make your own music!

Yesterday, I finally got my groove back. I wrote and submitted seven essays. Once the creative juices started flowing, I couldn't stop the outpouring.

Today, I have to write two early childhood articles for my column.

Tomorrow, I shall rest. These are my plans. Life has a way of getting in the way, so I will whistle while I work, play or relax this holiday weekend. And I shall be grateful for the many folks who gave their lives for my freedom to pursue my dreams.

8 comments:

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Outstanding post. Yes to everything. . .so glad you "got your groove back!" I didn't know it had gone missing. You seem ever the prolific writer to me. Enjoy your holiday weekend. God bless!

Southhamsdarling said...

Excellent post and, like Lisa above, yes to everything. Women quite often find their real selves submerged whilst they care for everyone else. i'm in my 60's and, for me, it is one of the best decades of my life. Oh I know a few wrinkles are appearing and I get tired more easily but, generally speaking, life is good!

Southhamsdarling said...

Sorry! Forgot to say that your little granddaughter is so cute!!

Sioux Roslawski said...

Seven essays in one day? Good grief! I think the idea of "progressive lenses" is an idea for an essay all by itself!

Susan said...

Nice post, Linda. Hope your day today is good. Susan

Anonymous said...

Linda,
I love this post. It has so much truth in it.
The doctor's appointment post was priceless! I feel the same way every time! Good news, though!
That hailstone was amazing! Wow!
And thank you for your kind comments. They are much appreciated!

Janet, said...

Very good post and so true for most of us. We always seem to put everyone else and their needs in front of ours. (Even when they don't want us to). I still seem to do that a lot, but I am writing now and that is something that "I" want to do.

Karen Lange said...

I like this idea! Thanks for inspiring me. :) It's way to easy to mired in lousy thoughts and attitudes. Appreciate your encouragement.