Wednesday, March 6, 2019

What's a henway?

I am clucking the news. My story about motherhood made the first round selection. I will be auditioning for Listen to Your Mother St. Louis. I'll let you know whether or not I make the final cut. The show is on Saturday of Mother's Day weekend. 

LISTEN TO YOUR MOTHER is a stage performance fundraiser that honors mothers across the nation. I was a cast member in the inaugural show in May, 2014. 
Today hubby's phone rang, and a man said, "Yeah, what's up?" 
Bill said, "Nothing. What's up with you?"
Man:  "You called me. I'm returning your call."
Bill:   "Well sorry, I must have butt dialed you. Who is this?"
Man:  Introduced himself.
Bill:   "My name's Bill."
Man:  "How many you want?"
Bill:   "How many what do I want?"
Man:  "Chickens."
Bill:   "I don't want ANY chickens."
Man:  "You sure you didn't order any? That why you called me?"
Bill:   "I didn't call you. Matter of fact I couldn't have butt dialed you; I don't have your number in                 my phone."
Man:  "Okay then."
Bill:    "It was a pleasure talking to you."
Man:   "You too, sir."

And they say women talk more than men.

On the way home from the grocery store, what do you think we saw in someone's unfenced front yard tidbitting? FOUR tidbitters! Guess at least three of them will be cock-a-doodling at the crack of dawn.  
As long as we're bawk-bawk-bawking, here are some facts: A hen weighs about three pounds. Now you can ask someone, "Have you seen any henways today?" When the other person asks, "What's a henway?" you can tell them.

According to Sarah Zeilinski, a female chicken is called a pullet until she is old enough to reproduce, then she's called a hen. A male chicken is called a rooster or cock.

Roosters announce to a flock of chickens that he’s found food with a “took, took, took.” But the hens don't pay attention if they already know that there is food around.

So, roosters perform a little dance called ‘tidbitting’ in which they make sounds (food calls) and move their head up and down, picking up and dropping a bit of food.

Researchers have found that females prefer males that often perform tidbitting and have larger, brighter combs on top of their heads.

The lure of food is the key to the heart!

Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/14-fun-facts-about-chickens-65848556/#Zy3sGwCHVYKThZtD.99

5 comments:

Val said...

Congrats on landing that audition! Bill's conversation sounds like something Hick would do. His number is one digit off from the local Lowe's. I wouldn't be surprised if he was dishing out advice on home-repair products.

Sioux Roslawski said...

Good luck on your audition. I wish I could be there to cheer you on. (Oh wait. I can.)

Congratulations on your CS yes. I'm sure it will be a permanent yes in very little time.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

My personal cell rang the other night. I said "help" and the woman demanded to know "who are you?". So I said, "Who are you?" then she nearly screamed, "DO NOT CALL THIS NUMBER AGAIN" and hung up. She called me! I do talk to people who call the wrong number all the time. You can meet some nice people that way!

Connie said...

Good luck! I hope you make the final cut.

I've never heard the word "tidbitting" before.

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Good luck with the audition!

Chickens---we saw them in Georgia all the time. A lot of people kept chickens. Here in Florida, not so much.