Tuesday, September 8, 2020

A rare sighting, a rare gift


Our bedroom window looks down upon our backyard bird feeder, bird bath, a variety of birds, two chipmunks, and a trio of young squirrels that excite Sassy Boy, our fat cat. He sits on the chest of drawers and meows at the critters and wags his tail. Yesterday I was petting him and looking out the window. I saw a sight to behold, a pure white hummingbird. I did not take this picture. In fact I didn't have my cell phone with me at 8:28 a.m. But I will always remember the gift I received. Of all the people in the world, I saw a white hummer. They are very rare.


 It flew into my neighbor's yellow Canna Lily. Incidentally, these were my late best friend Sheila's favorite flower. It was almost like a gift from beyond. I feel so honored to have been privy to this oddity of nature.
Ah, there are changes coming. I feel it in the air, in the shortening days. Our hummingbird feeder has had three frequent flyers. I remember when we went to Mexico one year. I could not believe how many hummingbirds were at rest on a lush bush. I wasn't aware that they sit still for long periods. Their wings flap so rapidly; I thought they were always in motion.

Just think they have to load up on sugar and nectar to make their imminent long journey south, across the gulf waters, all the way to Mexico. Nature is amazing!

The ruby throated green one, and the brown one, and the mottled one are not afraid of us sitting outside, but they fuss at one another. I am hoping to see that white hummer again. I have my cell phone next to me now when I sit outside and read. I hope I can get a photo.

What have you noticed lately about nature?

6 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Linda--I'm sure you will craft a moving story from this moment. What a sight!

Val said...

We have hummingbirds that flit around a ceramic bell thingy that's hanging on our front porch. The smarter ones go for the flowering yucca plants, or my lilac bush. I have NEVER seen a white hummingbird! It's no coincidence that you have a special hummingbird for a special situation.

DUTA said...

Nature constantly amazes us , if we care to contemplate it.
The white hummingbird is not only a beautiful, rare sight, but also a good sign of happy events about to come your way.

Red Rose Alley said...

I'm coming over from my friend, Susan's blog. Oh, what a blessing to see a white hummingbird. The hummingbird is my favorite bird, and what a sight to see one all white! When I moved down south to be with my daughter, a white dove flew on the freeway and was flying around my car for awhile. It was at car level and it flew right in front of my car. It was an amazing sight. I have never seen a white dove before, and it was a blessing.

Wishing you sweet September days.

~Sheri

Red Rose Alley said...

Thank you for following us, Linda. I appreciate that very much. If you want to read my White Dove story, it is on the June 1 post titled "White Dove." : )

~Sheri

Pat Wahler said...

What a cool thing to see! But just like you, I'd never have gotten a picture snapped.