Saturday, November 9, 2013

She's my Yankee Doodle girl!

It's a big deal when you get to go on stage and stand on the risers for a musical performance with your fellow kindergarteners.

Six-year-old Nicole was very excited to tell me she would be doing a patriotic salute on Monday at school.

"And I get to REALLY salute!" She showed me HOW to salute. She stood, chin in air and sang all of the words to I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy.

When we were snuggling on the couch, I told her she will always be my little girl. She said, "Nana, YOU love me so much, don't you? I just KNOW you love me more than anyone."

Everyone should have someone in their life who loves them SO much...just because they were born, despite all of their "problems", real or imagined. How many people of all ages go through life trying to feel loved? I want my grandchildren to feel loved despite their inadequacies, and not because of some fantastic attribute, report card grades or claim to fame. Despite teen rebellion, no matter how married or how old they get, even when they have children of their own.

I am leaving my legacy. After I am gone I want my grandchildren to say, "Nana loved me best."
"Huh -uh, she loved ME best."

Nicholas is 11, and as soon as he comes in and sits by me, he still raises his shirt and asks me to rub his back. He says, "You tickle backs better than anyone, ever."

"Well, I'm an expert. I tickled your dad's back when he was a little boy," I say.

So, as Nicole and I were snuggling on the couch, I whispered in her ear that Ashley is going to have a baby.

"Is it out yet?" she asked.

"No, it's growing inside her. But it will come out around the fourth of July."

She sat up, wide-eyed and exclaimed, "Not out; you mean BORN. On Yankee Doodle Day?!"

"Yep!"

"Yay!"

She smiled broadly and curled beside me. I'm sure she thinks that her singing that song had something to do with it.

After thinking about it, we decided to call Ashley so Nicole could sing Yankee Doodle Dandy for her and the baby. We left that message on her answering machine.

Nicole's my Yankee Doodle girl!
 

13 comments:

Shelly said...

This squeezed my heart. Such warm beauty all the way through this post. Thank you~

Unknown said...

Awww You made me miss my G-kiddies! There is nothing like those cuddle memories when they're so young & innocent. Your Yankee Doodle is adorable!

Sioux Roslawski said...

Linda--Nicole gets cuter and cuter every year.

It's hard to believe she's in kindergarten already!

Yes, to be loved unconditionally and deeply...it's a wonderful thing everyone should have--but so many do not.

Southhamsdarling said...

Such a heartwarming post Linda. I love the sentiments it contained about your grandchildren. I would hope that would be my legacy too. Your little granddaughter is beautiful.

Susan said...

Awwwwwww, that post left me with tears in my eyes, Linda. What a sweet little Yankee Doodle girl.

Yes, you are right, of course, every child deserves to be royally loved just because they are alive!

Sadly, I work with so many who have NOT been loved, as I'm sure you do, too.

Well, every drop fills the bucket so the drop we can give to them counts.

Hope you have a lovely weekend. Fun, too! Susan

Val said...

She'll steal the show!

River said...

I have a lovely warm feeling all around my heart now. Grand children are the best!

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Great post. I'm not a grandmother yet, but thanks to you I'll have a running start when it occurs.

Tammy said...

What a sweet, sweet scene. I'm convinced even little bits of love make a huge difference, and Nicole is one dandy Yankee Doodle girl.

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

What a sweet story, Linda! Nicole is blessed to have such a loving Nana.

Pat Wahler said...

Such a sweet story, Linda. BTW, I just watched one of my favorite old movies the other night...Yankee Doodle Dandy. I just love watching James Cagney sing and tap dance all over the stage. Awesome!

Pat
Critter Alley

Connie said...

Aw, she's a cutie, and that was such a sweet story!

Beth M. Wood said...

Precious ; )