Friday, April 26, 2019

Scamming the scammer


"Hello?" I answered the phone.

"Grandma?" said a female with an African accent.

"Baby, I've been waiting for your call."

"You have? Did you hear I was in an accident?"

"No, did you hear Grandpa and I were, too?"

LONG PAUSE. "For real?"

"Yes. Drunk driver totaled our car."

"Oh my. No car? They take you car?

"Yes, we are a mess, too."

Long pause. "Oh dear, this is terrible. I will have to call you back."

"I hope you feel better, honey."

"Oh dear, now what?" she mumbled before she hung up. CLICK.

I'm wondering what the protocol is for her when her rehearsed lines don't produce desired results? 

5 comments:

Val said...

Maybe she was just trying to earn a salary with a telemarketing scammer, but her conscience drew the line upon hearing of your misfortune.

Sioux Roslawski said...

Linda--You are too funny. You probably could have strung her along for a longer time---kept her from calling her next "mark" so soon.

I read somewhere that those scammers want you to say "yes" on the phone, so they can use it as an answer to a question like, "Do you authorize a credit card payment of $____ to this person?"

DUTA said...

Phone scamming sounds scary. Here they use e-mails, which I ignore, of course.One has to be on the alert all the time.

Connie said...

Ahahaha! Good for you to turn the tables on her. It's a shame that you really were in an accident, of course, but at least you stopped her in her tracks.

Susan said...

Oh dear. That was a good way of handling it. I cannot imagine what the lives of those young men and women must be like. Probably treated very badly UNTIL they make some money. What a world! But you definitely broke the protocol. Very creative way of handling things, I'd say. Susan