Monday, March 9, 2020

Where is it? What is it? Did you know?


Can you guess what this is? Modern art? Sculpture?

Graffiti?

 This is a section of The Berlin Wall. Winston Churchill's daughter is responsible for the cut outs and for bringing this piece of history to the college in Fulton, Missouri where granddaughter Morgan attends.









We had a wonderful time touring campus. The history lessons and artifacts were plentiful, and we could have spent an entire day touring the church/museum.



I experienced a range of emotions. The most pronounced was the fear of being separated from loved ones and homeland. Walls divide. I think we should be building bridges. Seeking peace. Sharing and caring. I could go on and on, but I won't. I will post photos and see what emotions they evoke for you.

6 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Linda--What an inspiring post. I've hurtled by Fulton, but never stopped by, so I never got to see that artwork. You're right. We need more bridges. Not more walls. Unfortuantely, in this political era we're mired in, it seems like people are encouraged to built walls...

Sad.

Gerry Mandel said...

I started out to read...not your post, but your list of writing credits. Got as far as Rat's Ass Review, which has to be one hell of a literary achievement. I admire that. Also your thoughts about your visit to Fulton. I was there 2 years ago, with lovely Golden, Lexi. Glad to see it again through your pix. Keep the good words coming, Linda. (I find it humiliating to have to check the box that says "I'm not a robot." I'm working on a robot app that can check that box.

Val said...

Well, that fooled me! I thought they were concrete forms, stood on end. What a difference perspective makes.

Friko said...

I had no idea that such a large chunk of the wall had come over to you. Yes, let’s build bridges, walls divide, bridges connect.

Pat Wahler said...

Fun fact. My friend, sculptor Don Wiegand, created the Churchill memorial in Fulton. :-)

Connie said...

Sounds like an interesting day. I didn't know this piece of the wall was there. Food for thought.